New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Plugging macbook pro, to TV, using mini displayport to HDMI and HDMI to HDMI.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Xan

Xan is on a distinguished road

Hello, I am trying to plug my macbook pro, 2008 model, into my HD TV, using a minidisplay port to female hdmi and a regular hdmi to hdmi.

However when i plug everything in the TV just says signal could not be found, any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Edit: i'm getting senile. Mdp came out in Oct '08.

You have changed the input on the TV to matchthe port you're using?

Please provide your TV make and model #.

Also, try using the 'detect displays' button in system preferences - displays.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

And first thing to do, always - disconnect and reconnect the cables.

QUOTE Thanks
Xan

Yes, I put the input on HDMI 1

I tried detect displays

And My TV is a Hannspree 25"

ST259MUB
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Have you disconnected and re-connected the cabling? This means all three locations... at the computer, each other and at the TV. Yes, even if it looks just fine.

And what happens when you use detect displays? Do you have a 2nd window for the external monitor?

Try turning the TV off and back on while it is connected and already set to the proper port.

QUOTE Thanks
Xan

I disconnected and re-connected everything, and when i do detect displays nothing happens, Tried turning on and off with everything connected.

I think i'm just going to get a vgi to hdmi i think it is

Thanks for the help anyway, but there might just be something wrong with my tv.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Did you try both HDMI ports?

You would not get a VGA to HDMI. Unless you're in the market to spend $100 or so for a converter. Do not be scammed into purchasing any VGA to HDMI cable as it will not work.

I'd suggest connecting your MBP to another TV. If it's still not working, you have a bad adapter or cable.

If you want to go VGA, you'll need the mdp to VGA adapter and a VGA cable.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help with laptop choice? | MacBook Pro with very Slow Reboot »