New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Spilled water on my macbook pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

selloutt

selloutt is an unknown at this point

Hi

I SPILLED WATER ON MY MACBOOK PRO 2.26 13" BY THE CHARGER. IT WAS POWERED ON WHEN THE WATER SPILLED.

I HAVE DRIED IT OUT AND CLEANED IT UP USING A MOISTENED Q TIP. STILL WONT POWER UP AND GETS NO LIGHT ON THE CHARGER.

HOW DO I KNOW IF THIS IS A DEAD MOTHERBOARD OR JUST THAT LITTLE CIRCUIT BOARD FOR THE CHARGER ? (I AM PLANNING ON FIXING THIS MYSELF SINCE APPLE WONT COVER IT)

THANKS IN ADVANCE
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Why are you YELLING!!!

If you want help you shouldn't YELL!

- Nick

p.s. In case you don't know...typing in all caps is yelling.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

As far as I know the power related stuff is also on the mother board. Check out the information for spills on in the portable mac section about spills.

MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz i7. Mac Mini 2.26Ghz C2D
iPhone 3G 16GB iPad 3G 64GB
Check out my flickr
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

To the OP:

Please do not post in all CAPS as it appears as if you're yelling at us.

Since you plan on repairing this yourself, probably the first thing would be to take the machine apart and let it thoroughly dry out for several days. In other words expose the logic board, DC input board to the air. Be sure to remove the battery first!

It may be that after drying it out things will start working again. However, even if it does start working, you may be possibly looking at future problems due to corrosion.

Go to the iFixit: The free repair manual site and get the step by step instructions for taking the machine apart.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
thomas998

thomas998 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Late 2008 MBP

yes there is a small circuit board that connects to the charger which is separate from the motherboard; but it is a tiny board very close to the side of the laptop and unless you poured water into the laptop by turning the notebook on its side and using a straw to put the water in through the mag port the odds of that being the problem are slim to none.

If you spilled water on the keyboard even on the far left side the odds are the water dripped down onto the motherboard. I give you credit for wishful thinking, but I'm betting you got the motherboard wet and its likely toast.
QUOTE Thanks
selloutt

selloutt is an unknown at this point

not sure why typing in all caps is so tabu. its so much faster and easier to read.

anyway, computer has already been drying out long enough. is the general consensus to use alcohol or just a water-moistened q-tip to clean the LB ?

its a bad sign that the charger wont light up, isnt it ?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by selloutt View Post
not sure why typing in all caps is so tabu. its so much faster and easier to read.
Two replies have already explained this!

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Water vs electronics = expense

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by selloutt View Post

anyway, computer has already been drying out long enough. is the general consensus to use alcohol or just a water-moistened q-tip to clean the LB ?

its a bad sign that the charger wont light up, isnt it ?
We've already explained about the CAPS. If you want people to read your posts and offer assistance then comply with posting etiquette.

As far as what to use for cleaning - use only denatured alcohol not the rubbing type or medical. Your charger adapter is possibly shorted out or as mentioned, the DC input board.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

In simple English she be dead alas!
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

It is dead and all caps is not easier to read.
QUOTE Thanks
MBasile

MBasile has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo

Weird, I'm facing the exact same issue!

Water got spilled (thank you dog) while the computer was closed/asleep. There was a small puddle on top of the screen casing but none in the keyboard area. The MagSafe light does not illuminate and the computer doesn't boot up even under just battery power (and the battery is full according to the LED's on the bottom side).

Good luck to the both of us!

Oh, and caps is NOT faster or easier to read.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Not saving browser/mail client default settings | Booted up into prohibitory(grey crossed out circe) mode. »