New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook spilled liquid awhile back, still dead...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TrePaul86

TrePaul86 is on a distinguished road

Ok guys I have a question for you. First off, it's not my MB, it's my roommates, but I'm here to ask your help for him.

Awhile back (about 2-3 months ago) I placed his mac on a towel on a chair in his room. The towel wasn't wet when I placed it there that night, but in the morning, woke up and the towel was soaking wet (Had a party). His girlfriend immediately took out the battery and placed both near the heater for several hours, which we then moved to the mac to a vent downstairs and propped it open for several days before turning it on and connecting the battery again. Hoping the warm air would dry out the inside. About a week after drying it out, we tried to turn it on. The light on the power cord was green but really dim, and often flashed yellow and green, very very dim. Took it to an apple store and asked for assistance. They used one of their power cords to try it out, got a solid bright green light saying it was charged, and obviously it wasn't having been unplugged for a week or so. Mac wouldn't power up at all. Tried pressing the battery button on the side and all the lights on the indicator would flash.

Well 2-3 months after this all happened, I took the battery cover off, took out the hard drive and battery, then took out the 8 screws covering the bottom half of the laptop. This is what I found:

(Sorry for the large pictures, but it help to show detail)

Not sure where to go from here, or if the computer is just completely totaled. Looking for some direction on how to clean it, check any kind of sensor, or just to get it up and running again. I read the sticky on spilled liquid, but don't know what to do here. I know I shouldn't send it in for him, since apple care doesn't cover spilled liquid and they're most likely going to send it back to us saying it's fried.

Can anyone help out here? I'm somewhat new to macs, but we have another roommate who has a MBP who knows his way around macs pretty well and even he doesn't know what to do... Thanks for the help in advance guys.
QUOTE Thanks
blackmac11

blackmac11 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC

The odds are very good that the logic board is fried. If the computer was on, even sleeping, when the water got inside, its toast.
Any liquid is extremely volatile to microchips when there is even a small current running throughout. You did the right thing by taking
out the battery and trying dry it, but it sounds like the damage was already done. A logic board is very expensive to replace, so you're
friend is better of spending a little more money and getting a new mac. I'm surprised the folks over at apple didn't tell you this when
you were there.

l
Ill keep it short and sweet Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns
QUOTE Thanks
TrePaul86

So do you think it's worth taking it to our local shop? They charge $45 to diagnose it, and $65/hr and the diagnosis is included in the first hour. They're a great shop, but I'm wondering if it's worth seeing how much it might cost to fix?
QUOTE Thanks
blackmac11

blackmac11 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC

Well, its really up to you. It's most likely the logic board, but you'll never know for sure until an experienced technician looks at it. If your friend really doesn't want to shell out for a new computer, it could be worth the 100 bucks just to see what the problem is.

l
Ill keep it short and sweet Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns
QUOTE Thanks
thomas998

thomas998 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Late 2008 MBP

Save yourself some money. The logic board is toast.
QUOTE Thanks
TrePaul86

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas998 View Post
Save yourself some money. The logic board is toast.
Alright so I took the logic board out, and this is what she looks like:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...s/IMG_1959.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...s/IMG_1960.jpg

Did some more research and found some replacement boards on eBay for logic board number 661-4818 for an a1278 13in macbook... The hard drive is tested and working properly, the keys and screen I would assume are working as well as the ram. Also, the battery needs repaced, but I think this macbook is repairable for roughly $300 for the logic board and new battery. Other than eBay, does anyone know where I can find some cheaper logic boards?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Alas the more you spend the more you are going to find wrong with the machine. A good drenching equals death in many, many cases.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It's entirely up to you whether or not to proceed and spend the money to repair the machine. The difficulty here is that you really won't know the extent of damage until you get a working logic board in. As harry advises, you can wind up spending more $$$ than you thought.

As far as the prices you quoted, they're good. I've seen refurbished boards for more. And I must compliment you on the job you did removing the board. I sincerely hope you can get it up and running. Good luck with the repairs and keep us informed.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Forgive me, I'm new | External Monitor »