New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Microsoft Office vs iWork

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rick121212

Rick121212 is on a distinguished road

I've picked my Macbook, my case for it, and the level of warranty and am almost ready to purchase but I can't decide between these two programs. iWork is compatible with Office files but I wasn't sure how easy it would be and as uni expects Office files should I just go for the Microsoft program.

There isn't a huge amount of money in it, but iWork is cheaper for me, I was just wondering what everyone's opinion on this was?

(and to the person who told me iLife wasn't anything like Office, I was getting it confused with iWork)
QUOTE Thanks
Rick121212

Realised this thread has been done a number of times. Sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Since MS Office will be updated to version 2011 before the end of this year, it might be a good idea to wait. For now you can download and use the free Open Office from Sun Microsystems. It provides good compatibility with Office files and the nice thing is it's free.

The iWork suite from Apple is good and it does provide compatibility with MS Office files. The iWork Pages application is very adept at doing layout and publishing documents (non professional) and is somewhat similar to MS Publisher for Windows.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

Been done, but never hurts to ask. Like chscag pointed out, MS will be releasing a new version later this year. To be honest I had a lot of small issues with the old version and have totally removed it from my machine. I do use Word processors a lot for school and need something that is not going to be flakey. So, I decided on iWork and have been pleasantly surprised. I would imagine that they will be updating their release soon as well so you might hold off on either.

That being said, I would recommend iWork for a person that needs a solid program for office needs. Just to let you know, I have to export my files to .doc for my school teachers and have never had a problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Rick121212

Thanks for the reply guys.

I did realise that another Microsoft Office would be coming soon but not quite that soon. Was starting to think I would stick with Open Office until I can make a decision for the meantime. I'll just wait and see I reckon.
QUOTE Thanks
blackmac11

blackmac11 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC

I think MS office is actually easier to use than iWork, but once you learn iWork it can do more for you.

l
I’ll keep it short and sweet — Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns
QUOTE Thanks
MikeIsGood

MikeIsGood will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB

I used Office 08 (Student Edition) for college-related purposed (papers etc.) since it came out. Once I graduated, on a whim I decided to try out iWork. I love it, and wished I had used it all along. Ended up picking it up when I got SL.

I think you'll get a free trial of iWork with your machine so you can try it out before you buy. Might be cheaper to buy with the computer, though. Not sure.
QUOTE Thanks
mommak

mommak is on a distinguished road

I bought my mac for school. I asked by brother, who is a devout mac user, if I needed to also purchase microsoft office. He told me no, that any document I create in iwork can be exported as a microsoft document. It worked just fine until I created a presentation in Keynote and had to export it as a Powerpoint. When I opened up the Powerpoint document, half of bullets had changed and all the fonts on one slide were bright pink. It was not a quick fix either, Powerpoint did not have the bullet I used in Keynote, so I had to change all of them and I could not figure out how to change the font color and had to redo that whole slide. I am glad I exported it the day before the presentation and then went over it before giving the presentation. That would have been embarrassing.

I am happy with iwork, but for sharing documents, especially for presentations, I have decided to purchase Microsoft office.
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

I have both MS Office and iWork. I can only speak of Pages and Word since I only use those two as a publishing and word processing tool. They are both very good. Pages seems to be more streamline, do it, get it done type of controls over layouts, fonts, pictures, etc. Word seems to give you more control and preference to almost everything but you have to peel through layers of it to get what you want. When I want to tinker I prefer Word. When I want to get it done quick I use Pages.
QUOTE Thanks
Cellobones

Cellobones is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.53GHz Intel

iWork seems to open excel files better in terms of exact colour than office for mac.

MBP 2.53GHz Intel
HP dv6000
Alienware M17
Custom-built gaming rig with ATi HD5850, 6GB DRR3 and AMD Phenom II 3.2GHz
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

My take is that once you have used the iPhone for remoting a Keynote Presentation then you will be sold on Keynote and Magic Move is a nice plus as well. But use this software on iPhone and MB it has more features;
Download Presentation Manager for Mac - Component of Wooji Presentation Remote for Keynote control. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I love iWork and would recommend it if you're primarily working on your own documents.

If you need to collaborate on documents a lot with other students, you'll probably need to pick up Office sooner or later though. Stupid things like bullets, numbering and dynamic elements (e.g. table of contents) will often break when being edited between the various versions of Office and iWork.

This week a student in my class was going to give a presentation created in Keynote. He had exported it in .ppt format and was opening it with Office 2003. The formatting was all over the place and the poor kid spent 10 minutes fixing colours and adjusting slides.

So: iWork great, Office a necessary evil at times and use your own MacBook for your presentations.
QUOTE Thanks
foxj66

foxj66 is on a distinguished road

Also check with your university you might get Microsoft office for free from the mdsn thing....I know i did at my school.

2.26 GHz White Unibody,160GB Intel X-25m, 8GB Ram, Mac mini 2.26GHz, 500GB 7200 RPM Hitachi drive, 4GB Ram
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I play COD:MW2 in this mac | iCal bug? »