Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New iBook

Specs:
    iBook 1.33GHz G4 14", 60GB, 768MB RAM, Airport, Bluetooth, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
    New iBook
    Hi everyone,

My sister just bought a new iBook last night through apple.com.

The specs page says that the iBook has "Mac OS X version 10.3 Panther" installed, but I actually thought that Apple would ship Tiger with all of their systems since it came out. Maybe the website is just outdated?

Let me know what's up, thanks! :mac:

xthisisRomancex
    yes it will ship with 10.4 "tiger"
    It might not be insalled you might just have the media an u have to install it your self.

iMe
    The website is just out-dated. Nothing to worry about!

Specs:
    Awesome! Thanks for the quick replies.

I think it would be great to get the Tiger DVD. (It is a DVD, right?) With Windows PCs you just get a stupid "restore disk," as I'm sure you already know.

I'll much rather clean-install the OS myself anyway! I kinda feel better when I do it myself instead of someone doing it for me at the store.

I really have no experience with Apple, so I have to ask, do they always ship the actual install disk of the OS? What's their way of doing that?

My brother got an iMac recently and of course, Tiger was pre-installed when it arrived... I never asked him if he got the actual OS CD/DVD or not.

- vr04

Specs:
    17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
    yea I ordered a powerbook about 2 and half weeks ago, mine came with tiger preinstalled and it came with the install disks for tiger.

amyrinth
    I just got one yesterday. Same as PRT, mine came with it preinstalled and the discs.

Specs:
    Great, thanks for letting me know.

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    tell your sister good luck with her ibook

Specs:
    Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
    I got my new Powerbook last week and it came with Panther on it and a upgrade DVD for Tiger. I had to do a format and install. Its not a big deal for a new system though.

Specs:
    Thanks PowerBookG4.

Acill, was it just an upgrade, or a FULL version of Tiger? I guess if you formatted it must have been the full.

- vr04

Specs:
    Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
    No it was just the update AFAIK, I have Tiger I bought for my G5 and used that. The DVD was marked as upgrade DVD though.

A full Tiger DVD came w/ my Powerbook
    DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
    www.wattsupproductions.com

Specs:
    I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Specs:
    It's here!!!

Yessir, my iBook finally came. I'm very happy, satisfied, fine, superdandified and good, too!

One question, though: Should I install the Airport Express software that came with the base? It works without it... is it an update or something?

Let me know!

Oh, and yeah... screw Windows. I'm sold!

The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
    Specs:
    24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
    Quote Originally Posted by vr04
    It's here!!!

Yessir, my iBook finally came. I'm very happy, satisfied, fine, superdandified and good, too!

One question, though: Should I install the Airport Express software that came with the base? It works without it... is it an update or something?

Let me know!

Oh, and yeah... screw Windows. I'm sold!
    The disks in the box are just copies of everything already installed.

I bought my iBook in PC World yesterday, I asked the spotty oik if it came with Tiger installed and he said he'd have to go out back and check as all the boxes were "double sealed".

A few minutes later he returned with a more senior oik (less spotty) in tow and they both nodded sagely and said yes Tiger is in it.

When I got home and checked the box (which was no longer "double sealed" or even "single sealed") I found that they had stuffed a Tiger package in the box along with the Panther disks (they did it untidily so I could tell it hadn't come from Apple like that), Panther 10.3.7 was pre-installed so I just installed Tiger over the top.

It's quite handy really as I already have a 5-licence Tiger pack so I can give the spare Tiger disk to my pal who only has Panther on his Mini.

All in all I quite like the iBook but it is a bit heavier than I expected it to be.

Amen-Moses

Thread Information