New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

new mac user

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slappy

I am having a nightmare loading os x on my power book it installs first cd then reboots and starts installation again. If I remove the cd I get ?/mac symbol flashing. It never asks for 2nd cd. I tried loading os 9.1 and after I initialized and loaded os I get the same ?/mac symbol flashing. Its a Lombard G3 400
256mb
10GB IBM travelstar
any help would be greatly appreciated!!
I will provide any other info needed I am sorry I am very new to mac.
QUOTE Thanks
slappy

OK I just noticed that when I look at the drive with OS X install cd it says slave? is there supposed to be a jumper on the drive? if so anyone have a link or pic to where the jumper should be? I hope this is whats wrong!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

ugh
you install disk 1. it asks you to restart. then asks for disk 2.
QUOTE Thanks
slappy

I wish ... it restarts and tries to install disc 1 again.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

then eject disk 1 and slide disk 2 in!
QUOTE Thanks
slappy

I will try that ... but I thought it always asked for disc 2?
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

you dont need disk 2
QUOTE Thanks
slappy

duh ... man am I dumb. If thats true then why doesn't os x start after install? all I get is flashing [ ? ] to mac symbol over and over.
QUOTE Thanks
sKaD

sKaD is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram

Did you format the hard drive before installing again?

Format the hard drive, freshly install then take the disk out before it reboots..

sKaD
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

disk 2 is just extras
QUOTE Thanks
slappy

Thanks everybody I am somewhat new to this. I am formatting the drive now and will reply when I get done!
QUOTE Thanks
slappy

well no dice still flashing mac/? when rebooted. I set the first partition to 4 gb then left the other as free space (5gb) should I try loading as little as possible? Also if I set first partition what should it be set as? Extended standard? Sorry I get so confused by this. I know it has to be the first 8 gb partition but is there a minimum size?
QUOTE Thanks
slappy

Ok I am loading OS X disc again (10.2) what size should the first partition be? Lemme see if someone can make it idiot proof for me....
QUOTE Thanks
slappy

While I am waiting is there a Light version of the install where I can bypass unwanted printer drivers languages etc ? I think I saw it briefly but I wasn't sure if that was going to be a can of worms. Also do I need to install OS 9 drivers? Sorry if I sound stupid but when it comes to a mac I am a complete bafoon. I just ran verify disk permissions and I get a bunch of errors. I am guessing I should run repair disk permissions. While I am there should I run verify Disk and repair disk as well?
QUOTE Thanks
slappy

OK neither repair worked. I also tried OS 9 and had no luck there either. Right sfter loading I rebooted and flashing mac / ? I will try to format disk again and start from scratch.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PowerBooks and Games | PB G3 DVD? Lombard 400 »