New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Running dual boot Linux and OS X on 12" iBook 1.2 Ghz

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sprtnbsblplya

sprtnbsblplya is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4ghz SR, 256m 8600gt, 640gb HD, 3gb RAM

Is it possible to have a dual boot 12" iBook G4 1.2 Ghz running Linux on one partition and OS X 10.3 on another?

Ideally I would like to have a 3 or 4 gig partition for Linux, and the rest for OS X and my daily computing needs.
QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

yes it is possible...
umm ubuntu and yellow dog are a few that run on PPC. you would have to put in your install disk and create the patriction it will erase your Hd so back every thing up
QUOTE Thanks
sprtnbsblplya

Does anybody know of any good tutorial websites on how to do this?

I want to run it with a dual boot as there are a number of good astronomy programs out there for Linux, but OS X is somewhat lacking in what I need.

So can any version of linux run any linux compatible program?
QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtnbsblplya

I want to run it with a dual boot as there are a number of good astronomy programs out there for Linux, but OS X is somewhat lacking in what I need.

If u are looking for a tut on parting the drive it is simple just use your disk utitly disk that cae wth ur ibook..

As for making a back up of the OS X drive i ude Carbon Copy Cloner

what i may suggest tho is going to ubuntu.com and downloading a live CD you can put into it w/o erasing ur drive..
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

at least download the live cd so you can try it out first make sure that it does everything you want it to do before you go ahead and erase you hd.
QUOTE Thanks
SErgini0

if you download mandriva for PPC, it does the whole job for you. you wn't have to worry a bit.
QUOTE Thanks
mangoSharingan

Yea, running YDL 4.0 with Mac OS X 10.3.9 here.
QUOTE Thanks
Aarow

In a book I checked out from the library (Linux for dummies 6th edition) it says you should have atleast 6 gigs for linux.
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtnbsblplya

1) No tutorials off the top of my head, sorry. I am sure there are some out there though.

2) What astronomy programs if you do not mind me asking? It is possible they have been ported. This is not to discourage you from Linux though, I thikn everyone should try it at least once.

3) Not quite, but for the programs you are looking at probably. The majority of programs out there will compile on PPC without a problem, though every once in a while you wll run across a program that needs a bit of tweaking before it compiles. There are some that will plain not work though.
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarow
In a book I checked out from the library (Linux for dummies 6th edition) it says you should have atleast 6 gigs for linux.
That is a bit excessive and was probably listed to err on the safe side. If you install everything but the kitchen sink it could take 5-6 gigs. If you exercise some restraint though the initial install can easily be trimmed down to about 1-2 gigs and much smaller if there is an overriding need.
QUOTE Thanks
sprtnbsblplya

I'm looking at running XEphem on it for sure, as that seems more powerful (and FREE!!!) than anything currently available for Mac.

Also, I need Linux and Xephem as they allow me to interface into the LX200 type commands that my telescopes use, using OS X that becomes a little bit more difficult... definitely possible, but I'd rather just use Linux.

I tried Virtual PC with Windows 98 SE, but it ran so slow I never even got around to loading my telescope software on it, I just said screw it and stopped using it, Virtual PC is completely useless as far as I'm concerned. Thats with a fast G4 and 768 RAM too.
QUOTE Thanks
Colin Barnhorst

Quote:
I tried Virtual PC with Windows 98 SE, but it ran so slow I never even got around to loading my telescope software on it, I just said screw it and stopped using it, Virtual PC is completely useless as far as I'm concerned. Thats with a fast G4 and 768 RAM too.
The way VPC has to work on the Mac, it is better to allocate as little ram as possible to get the job done. Using Win98SE, that is probably 128mb. On a real PC the more memory the better, but VPC on the Mac is just the opposite. The cpu gets tied up emulating the Windows memory manager so the less memory you allocate the lighter the load is on the PPC processor. Having said that, VPC for Mac will never get some programs to run acceptibly. That could very well change with the MacIntels.

For your needs, consider an inexpensive Intel box preloaded with XP Home. It can be new or used. A PIII hand-me-down from the family with Win98SE would also do the job.
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Interestingly enough Xephem has a native port for OS X. The rest of your post went over my head so I will just assume your reasons are good. Ubuntu has a port for Xephem so that seems to be your best bet for running it in Linux on PPC. I could not find a port for it for YDL.

I got bored about half way through but you might read this:

http://www.intuitive.com/blog/ubuntu...powerbook.html
QUOTE Thanks
djlee12

djlee12 has a spectacular aura about

Shouldn't you be able to use iPartition to partition your drive w/ out erasing it?

DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
www.wattsupproductions.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SHould i wait to buy my Powerbook | Made the Switch »