New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Questions before buying macbook PRO

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

darkserith

darkserith is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

I plan on purchasing the new MBP 13" when the back to school promotion starts. As such, i have a few questions that i need answered:

1) Does the new MBP 13" support SATA II 3.0 gb/sec? I know that the older versions support 1.5gb/sec. The reason i am asking is because i plan on putting an SSD in it, and will adjust my SSD purchase accordingly, with respect to the SATA interface on the new MBP

2) How do i get OS X on the SSD? This is assuming i do not want to use the hard drive that comes with the macbook pro. I plan on purchasing an aftermarket SSD. Therefore, does the MBP come with an OS X installation CD? Or how would i go about this?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
foxj66

foxj66 is on a distinguished road

1. Yes.

2. Yes but you could always just use Carbon Copy or a similar program.

2.26 GHz White Unibody,160GB Intel X-25m, 8GB Ram, Mac mini 2.26GHz, 500GB 7200 RPM Hitachi drive, 4GB Ram
QUOTE Thanks
DRMac

DRMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2.66Ghz C2D 4GB ram 320GB HDD

1) As long as it's a 2.5 inch laptop drive with an SATA connector then yes, it will work.

2) some people with SSDs from what i read will set up the mbp then clone the drive to the SSD using provided software and cables, but if you don't want to go that route i believe you can install it then format the SSD within the disk utilities through the snow leopard disc
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook spill | Real small mac? »