New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook '06: Black screen, disk drive noise over and over again, no chime.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FF!

FF! is on a distinguished road

I've been having this issue with my black Macbook of 2006: it would randomly shut down while in the middle of surfing the internet, listening to music, writing Java code, etc. Then I would try to boot it up again, but the disk drive kept making noises over and over again (instead of just once) and screen would stay black. It wouldn't go to light blue, that chime noise would never come...the screen just stayed black, disk drive kept making noises, until I hit the power button and shut off the computer.

This happened around October of 2009. I believed that my Macbook was gone for good...but that turned out not to be the case.

Because just today, I randomly tried to insert an extra hard drive to see if the original hard drive was causing the problem. But the extra was too big and didn't fit. So I put the battery back in, but before I did, I accidentally hit a small button on the battery, and one green light (out of five green lights) on the battery went on. So right away I put the battery back in, and turned on the computer right away to see what would happen. And it pretty much magically booted up, no issue whatsoever. It's alive!!!!!

But I'm afraid these issues are going to happen again. Questions I have:

1) Has anyone else had the problems I have had with their Macbook?
2) What is that little button on the battery for, and what does it mean when one out of five green lights on the battery is on?
3) Just what the heck did I do that happened to fix my Macbook, and how can I ensure these problems won't occur again?

Thank you very much,

Ariana
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The button on the battery when pressed indicates the charge on the battery. If all lights are lighted, (all green) you have a full charge.

What did you do to fix your MacBook? Hard to say.... you may have an intermittent problem that will rear its ugly head again. It does sound as if you may have had some problems with the hard drive or perhaps something more serious.

Just keep using the machine - and make frequent backups - If and when it goes out again, post back and we'll take another look at it.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
chaser12

chaser12 is on a distinguished road

My 2006 macbook has the same issue, but it happens over and over. It will crash randomly, and the superdrive will make a short "bzzt" noise repetitively about every second continuously until you reset it manually by holding down the power button. Sometimes even after a hard boot, it will continue... what I have noticed is that, though probably not wise, if you bend/warp the chasis a little bit with your hands, or push down firmly over the top left of the keyboard (above the superdrive) it will restart the computer and the noise will stop and go away. Then the computer will operate normally for hte next little bit until it eventually happens again.... Have you heard anything else on this issue? Is it still happening to you?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Power-Up Issue | Cannot log in Macboook pro anything to do with a dead battery »