New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Is it possible to replace my current Macbook pro logic board with faster logic board?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Eddi3theWolf

Eddi3theWolf is on a distinguished road

I have a Macbook pro late 2008 model with a 2.4 ghz processor logic board, I'm thinking in getting a better logic board in that same year (so that all the ports match my current chassis).

Is it possible to replace my current logic board and place a faster one into my current Macbook pro (same ports - logic board layout)?

Do you think there'll be problems with the other equipment as in speakers, super drive, keyboard, display to not work because they aren't "compatible" with the mother board I'm going to replace?

Thanks
-Eddie.B
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Welcome to Mac Forums.
Quite simply.... the answer is no you cannot.

Also, if you could, it would cost you majority of the value if not more, than your Macbook Pro's value.
The most you can do to increase it's performance is to max out your RAM, and get a larger and faster HD or SSD.
QUOTE Thanks
Eddi3theWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Welcome to Mac Forums.
Quite simply.... the answer is no you cannot.

Also, if you could, it would cost you majority of the value if not more, than your Macbook Pro's value.
The most you can do to increase it's performance is to max out your RAM, and get a larger and faster HD or SSD.
Thanks for the quick reply, why can't you replace it with a better one though? Is it the different mount areas?

I have seen logic boards floating at 3rd party apple repair websites that cost less or half than what I bought the computer for...

From my point of view, 4 gb of ram isn't enough when I put my Macbook pro through heavy multimedia usage - and getting a new Hdd is reasonable which I do know but I have all the external storage I need though.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Just to satisfy your curiosity, even if you could get it to work without sweat, blood, tears, and modifying everything else in your MBP, I found a 2.66GHz logic board for US$1099.95.
How much do you think a 2.66GHz Macbook Pro would cost you? Around the same
QUOTE Thanks
6string

You want a you can go as high as 8GB Ram, and a 7200RPM HD or SSD which will speed things are dramatically if you even use the resources that you already have to their capacity (which in most cases, people don't).

Even if they have the same mounting points, this is not to say that it will work, and quite often changing boards means changing cables, cable mounting, and pretty much everything in your laptop.

Sell your MBP if you like, and pay less then you would for a logic board that most likely won't work, and purchase the MBP you want.
QUOTE Thanks
Eddi3theWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
You want a you can go as high as 8GB Ram, and a 7200RPM HD or SSD which will speed things are dramatically if you even use the resources that you already have to their capacity (which in most cases, people don't).

Even if they have the same mounting points, this is not to say that it will work, and quite often changing boards means changing cables, cable mounting, and pretty much everything in your laptop.

Sell your MBP if you like, and pay less then you would for a logic board that most likely won't work, and purchase the MBP you want.
Thanks bro for the help \m/
QUOTE Thanks
Kevin6432

Kevin6432 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2 2GB

Actually, the answer is yes you can. Is it worth it though? Absolutely not. If you want to upgrade, throw yours on eBay and buy a faster one off of eBay and spend a couple hundred bucks. Rather than close to a grand..

15 inch MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 3GB ram and 160GB 7200 RPM HDD.
Apple OS-X Snow Leopard / Boot Camp - Windows XP
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin6432 View Post
Actually, the answer is yes you can. Is it worth it though? Absolutely not. If you want to upgrade, throw yours on eBay and buy a faster one off of eBay and spend a couple hundred bucks. Rather than close to a grand..
Anything is possible, and if you read on, you would have seen that I made it clear why you can't!
Usually it means either creating a Frankenstein, or literally swapping out the guts of the machine!
Can it be done? Yes!
Is it as simple as just swapping out the logic board(which is what the OP asked)? No
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PowerBook G4 Problem (Jumbled Screen Images) | Titanium 15" just spins the grey startup for ever »