New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Refurb or Newest MBP?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jbachandouris

jbachandouris is on a distinguished road

I have found a refurb MBP for $929. 2.26GHz, 2GB, 160GB HD, 13.3". 7 hr battery life. (I will upgrade the memory so add $100 to price)

The newest is $1199. 2.46GHz, 4GB, 250GB HD, TEN hour battery life.

Price difference-about $180.

This will be my first Mac. No real reason to buy one except that I am bored with Windows and want something new (the battery life and beautiful display are my biggest draws).

So, what do you think? Are the increased specs really worth the $180?
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Depends. Do you need them? Lame response I know, but how could we answer your question if we have NO idea what you will be doing with the thing?
QUOTE Thanks
jbachandouris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfuller View Post
Depends. Do you need them? Lame response I know, but how could we answer your question if we have NO idea what you will be doing with the thing?
Of course I don't need them!

Since I have never owned a Mac, I don't know what hardware specs I would need to 'future-proof' it.

Is 2GB enough or should I immediately upgrade to 4GB (only $100). As for HD size, my wife and I are sharing a PC laptop and combined we use 111GB, BUT Macs seem to be easier to do some things. Maybe I will use my digital camera more and the picture organization is way better.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Processor-wise, no. To go from 2GB to GB of RAM will set ya back almost $100. And as you mentioned, the HDD will be a $100. So, now you have something to work with....

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
jbachandouris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
Processor-wise, no. To go from 2GB to GB of RAM will set ya back almost $100. And as you mentioned, the HDD will be a $100. So, now you have something to work with....
So....do you recommend the older MBP with a 4GB upgrade? Or should I just buy the new one so that it will have the latest specs?
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

You should keep in mind when order from Apple, that you would have to pay tax on the refurbished one. I ordered my refurb through Apple. It's free shipping but tax added another $70 to the cost. $999+$70=$1069. I could have had a brand new one from a couple of on-line mail order place with free shipping and no tax at $1120 to $1140. My savings for getting a refurb was $50-$70. Not much. Also, if you're going to buy a refurb MBP with a core2duo, you might as well buy a new one with C2Duo, since resellers would tend to lower the price to sell off their stocks of now older C2Duo MBP

Apple 13.3" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, SuperDrive - Aluminum unibody MB990LL/A
QUOTE Thanks
jbachandouris

Quote:
Originally Posted by quin View Post
You should keep in mind when order from Apple, that you would have to pay tax on the refurbished one. I ordered my refurb through Apple. It's free shipping but tax added another $70 to the cost. $999+$70=$1069. I could have had a brand new one from a couple of on-line mail order place with free shipping and no tax at $1120 to $1140. My savings for getting a refurb was $50-$70. Not much. Also, if you're going to buy a refurb MBP with a core2duo, you might as well buy a new one with C2Duo, since resellers would tend to lower the price to sell off their stocks of now older C2Duo MBP

Apple 13.3" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, SuperDrive - Aluminum unibody MB990LL/A
I have taken tax into account. What I failed to mention is that I will be using the Apple Credit Card-no interest for a full year.
QUOTE Thanks
Chud

Chud will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbachandouris View Post
I have taken tax into account. What I failed to mention is that I will be using the Apple Credit Card-no interest for a full year.
Just make sure you pay it off within that year or you'll be socked with all of the interest from day one.
QUOTE Thanks
foxj66

foxj66 is on a distinguished road

Also are you a student? because you will get a 100 off of the new one if you are.

2.26 GHz White Unibody,160GB Intel X-25m, 8GB Ram, Mac mini 2.26GHz, 500GB 7200 RPM Hitachi drive, 4GB Ram
QUOTE Thanks
jbachandouris

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxj66 View Post
Also are you a student? because you will get a 100 off of the new one if you are.
No, unfortunately not a student.
QUOTE Thanks
tjmac

tjmac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
I agree. It will be about $200 to add the extra 2MB and upgrade the hard drive.
In addition, consider how much you travel with your laptop. If it is a lot, the extra battery life may be worth it to you.
QUOTE Thanks
jbachandouris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmac View Post
I agree. It will be about $200 to add the extra 2MB and upgrade the hard drive.
In addition, consider how much you travel with your laptop. If it is a lot, the extra battery life may be worth it to you.
I may just end up with the refurb. Number 1, I don't really travel and number 2, I have never had a Mac before, so who's to say if I need the extra memory/HD space. I am tech-inclined, so I can change them when and if needed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP Refund/Return Future Shop | Liquid damage....Advice needed! »