Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Apr 09, 2010
    Posts
    12
    Refurb or Newest MBP?
    I have found a refurb MBP for $929. 2.26GHz, 2GB, 160GB HD, 13.3". 7 hr battery life. (I will upgrade the memory so add $100 to price)

    The newest is $1199. 2.46GHz, 4GB, 250GB HD, TEN hour battery life.

    Price difference-about $180.

    This will be my first Mac. No real reason to buy one except that I am bored with Windows and want something new (the battery life and beautiful display are my biggest draws).

    So, what do you think? Are the increased specs really worth the $180?

  2. #2

    mdfuller's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 01, 2007
    Location
    Sconie
    Posts
    1,217
    Specs:
    15-inch MacBook Pro
    Depends. Do you need them? Lame response I know, but how could we answer your question if we have NO idea what you will be doing with the thing?

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Apr 09, 2010
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by mdfuller View Post
    Depends. Do you need them? Lame response I know, but how could we answer your question if we have NO idea what you will be doing with the thing?
    Of course I don't need them!

    Since I have never owned a Mac, I don't know what hardware specs I would need to 'future-proof' it.

    Is 2GB enough or should I immediately upgrade to 4GB (only $100). As for HD size, my wife and I are sharing a PC laptop and combined we use 111GB, BUT Macs seem to be easier to do some things. Maybe I will use my digital camera more and the picture organization is way better.

  4. #4

    MYmacROX's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2009
    Posts
    3,625
    Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Processor-wise, no. To go from 2GB to GB of RAM will set ya back almost $100. And as you mentioned, the HDD will be a $100. So, now you have something to work with....
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

    Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Apr 09, 2010
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
    Processor-wise, no. To go from 2GB to GB of RAM will set ya back almost $100. And as you mentioned, the HDD will be a $100. So, now you have something to work with....
    So....do you recommend the older MBP with a 4GB upgrade? Or should I just buy the new one so that it will have the latest specs?

  6. #6

    quin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2009
    Posts
    432
    Specs:
    MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
    You should keep in mind when order from Apple, that you would have to pay tax on the refurbished one. I ordered my refurb through Apple. It's free shipping but tax added another $70 to the cost. $999+$70=$1069. I could have had a brand new one from a couple of on-line mail order place with free shipping and no tax at $1120 to $1140. My savings for getting a refurb was $50-$70. Not much. Also, if you're going to buy a refurb MBP with a core2duo, you might as well buy a new one with C2Duo, since resellers would tend to lower the price to sell off their stocks of now older C2Duo MBP

    Apple 13.3" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, SuperDrive - Aluminum unibody MB990LL/A

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Apr 09, 2010
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by quin View Post
    You should keep in mind when order from Apple, that you would have to pay tax on the refurbished one. I ordered my refurb through Apple. It's free shipping but tax added another $70 to the cost. $999+$70=$1069. I could have had a brand new one from a couple of on-line mail order place with free shipping and no tax at $1120 to $1140. My savings for getting a refurb was $50-$70. Not much. Also, if you're going to buy a refurb MBP with a core2duo, you might as well buy a new one with C2Duo, since resellers would tend to lower the price to sell off their stocks of now older C2Duo MBP

    Apple 13.3" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, SuperDrive - Aluminum unibody MB990LL/A
    I have taken tax into account. What I failed to mention is that I will be using the Apple Credit Card-no interest for a full year.

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Feb 24, 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    95
    Specs:
    15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm
    Quote Originally Posted by jbachandouris View Post
    I have taken tax into account. What I failed to mention is that I will be using the Apple Credit Card-no interest for a full year.
    Just make sure you pay it off within that year or you'll be socked with all of the interest from day one.

  9. #9

    foxj66's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 24, 2010
    Posts
    111
    Also are you a student? because you will get a 100 off of the new one if you are.
    2.26 GHz White Unibody,160GB Intel X-25m, 8GB Ram, Mac mini 2.26GHz, 500GB 7200 RPM Hitachi drive, 4GB Ram

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Apr 09, 2010
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by foxj66 View Post
    Also are you a student? because you will get a 100 off of the new one if you are.
    No, unfortunately not a student.

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Apr 02, 2010
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
    Processor-wise, no. To go from 2GB to GB of RAM will set ya back almost $100. And as you mentioned, the HDD will be a $100. So, now you have something to work with....
    I agree. It will be about $200 to add the extra 2MB and upgrade the hard drive.
    In addition, consider how much you travel with your laptop. If it is a lot, the extra battery life may be worth it to you.

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Apr 09, 2010
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by tjmac View Post
    I agree. It will be about $200 to add the extra 2MB and upgrade the hard drive.
    In addition, consider how much you travel with your laptop. If it is a lot, the extra battery life may be worth it to you.
    I may just end up with the refurb. Number 1, I don't really travel and number 2, I have never had a Mac before, so who's to say if I need the extra memory/HD space. I am tech-inclined, so I can change them when and if needed.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Newest MBP Retina's
    By ryanlabe1 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2014, 03:16 PM
  2. Anyone Sorry they Went MBP Refurb?
    By sarends in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-06-2009, 01:00 PM
  3. New MBP or Refurb
    By sonic9t9 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-14-2009, 11:18 AM
  4. mbp refurb x mbp brandnew
    By babyt in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-24-2009, 08:16 AM
  5. Refurb MBP or Refurb Mac Pro?
    By JeXus in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-20-2007, 01:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •