Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Apr 13, 2010
    Posts
    3
    Should I upgrade?
    About two weeks ago I went out and purchased a new Macbook Pro 17" from my local Apple store. Now I just heard that they released a new better version today. I called my local store and they said I could exchange and pay the difference. My question to this forum is, is it worth it? Will the new i5 make a noticable difference?

  2. #2

    iggibar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 20, 2009
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    4,079
    Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    i5? I would never get the 17" without the i7(which is optional for it)! I'm currently contemplating almost the same thing with my 15" that's about 12 months old. I love the new specs, but it would be foolish of me to waste money on upgrading something that really hasn't given me a lot of problems, or has even let me reach it's peak performance(what it was designed to do…) yet. In your case, I would consider the exchange because, depending on which 17" model price you have, you might get away with paying little to nothing extra for something that is better than what you have.
    The only reason I wish to upgrade is just so I can have a better graphics card, my battery has been excellent, and my processor(2.4ghz) has not left me wanting more! The 330m with 512 memory is making me drool though…

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Jul 14, 2008
    Location
    Scotland, UK
    Posts
    675
    Specs:
    nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
    If I had the chance and the extra money for it I probably would yes. Although I'd get the i7 chip.

    I'm happy enough with mine though, the new one is 1.1x faster in Aperture so I'd hardly notice that!

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Apr 13, 2010
    Posts
    3
    I went in to my local Apple store to see what they had on hand. They didn't have any 17" Pros with the i7. Then they offered me the price difference on what the new model costs now. I decided to take the $330. I don't do anything but music and web sufring so i figured the extra power wasn't necessary.

    Thanks all.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Location
    Down Under :D
    Posts
    5,484
    Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    Better graphics, faster, etc
    It really depends on what you do, but if I could afford it, I certainly would, even if I didn't need the enhancements, if anything, just for long term resale value!

  6. #6

    mikey.b@gmx.com's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 05, 2008
    Location
    Guildford, near London, UK
    Posts
    128
    Specs:
    MacBook4,1 2.4Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 160GB HD OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard | iPod Touch 16gb 2G
    If you had wanted the i7 with a 17" model, you would have had to get a custom configuration as it doesn't have the i7 as standard.

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Apr 13, 2010
    Posts
    3
    Had a change of heart after pricing out some new 17". Just ordered the new version online today and returned mine at the store.
    New Specs.

    2.66GHz Intel Core i7
    4GB 1066MHZ DDR3 SDRM - 2X2GB
    500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400
    SuperDrive 8X DL
    MBP 17" HR Glossy WS Display
    No iWork preinstalled
    No Final Cut Express preinstd
    No Aperture Preinstalled
    No Logic Express Preinstalled
    No FileMaker Preinstalled
    No MSO preinstalled
    No DVI Adapter
    No VGA Adapter
    Keyboard/Users Guide
    Country Kit

  8. #8

    mikey.b@gmx.com's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 05, 2008
    Location
    Guildford, near London, UK
    Posts
    128
    Specs:
    MacBook4,1 2.4Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 160GB HD OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard | iPod Touch 16gb 2G
    You've got yourself a hellof a computer there mate. Hope you enjoy it

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. can't upgrade browser because can't upgrade mac
    By Japple79 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 11-27-2014, 10:15 AM
  2. Upgrade RAM or upgrade Macbook Pro?
    By stephengoliver in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 11:22 PM
  3. MacBook - to upgrade or not to upgrade
    By TonyH1982 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-26-2012, 03:42 PM
  4. Win 7 UPGRADE install, no upgrade needed.
    By chscag in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2009, 11:29 PM
  5. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 07-06-2009, 06:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •