New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

An interesting question that needs an answer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lakenz

Lakenz is on a distinguished road

Hey, Im not sure if this is possible because it sounds a bit crazy, but is it possible for a PC (windows) to use a macs dvd burner through the ethernet Lan cable, simply by plugging the two computers into each other? the reason being is that the PC does not have a dvd burner at the moment.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
smithk2719

smithk2719 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" MacBook Pro 8GB Ram, 500GB HD, Have been an Apple guy since 2002, and will NEVER GO BACK =)

I don't see this happening. For two reasons:

1) to my knowledge, the only ethernet / lan interfaces right now that work on the mac are HD access and Printer sharing, as well as a few other smaller things.

2) the way that your PC will send the information to the mac from your burning software will be in a different format than that which the mac sends information to the burner.

Why not just drop the information onto the mac, and THEN burn?
QUOTE Thanks
smithk2719

smithk2719 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" MacBook Pro 8GB Ram, 500GB HD, Have been an Apple guy since 2002, and will NEVER GO BACK =)

also, a DVD burner only runs about 50 bucks.

Amazon.com: Samsung USB 2.0 8x DVD Writer External Optical Drive for Mac and PC SE-S084C/RSBN (Gloss Black): Electronics

Good luck. =)
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

And it looks nice and shiny
QUOTE Thanks
Lakenz

Yeah, I thought so

oh well

Thanks a lot!
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Or there is this if you want an  on your dvd burner:
Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive - Apple Store (U.S.)

But you'd have to open up and fiddle with the guts of the drive a little as shown here to make it work.
MacBook Air SuperDrive for all - a set on Flickr

Or there is a software only version of the hack so you can use it on a PC. And all you need for it to work is:
MacBook Air SuperDrive
A copy of the OS X Leopard Installation DVD released after the Air came out - I believe you need 10.5.4, or Bootcamp Drivers version 2.1.
a free USB socket and existing optical drive
Windows XP/Vista should work. 7/Server 2008 will probably work.
http://geeks.against.tv/applemacbook...erdriveonanypc
QUOTE Thanks
Lakenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Or there is this if you want an  on your dvd burner:
Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive - Apple Store (U.S.)

But you'd have to open up and fiddle with the guts of the drive a little as shown here to make it work.
MacBook Air SuperDrive for all - a set on Flickr

Or there is a software only version of the hack so you can use it on a PC. And all you need for it to work is:
MacBook Air SuperDrive
A copy of the OS X Leopard Installation DVD released after the Air came out - I believe you need 10.5.4, or Bootcamp Drivers version 2.1.
a free USB socket and existing optical drive
Windows XP/Vista should work. 7/Server 2008 will probably work.
applemacbookairsuperdriveonanypc (www)
Thats alright, all I need is a Dvd drive for my PC, and I can get one and install it easy. Thanks anyway
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Early 2008 MBP Caps Lock not working...broken? | using my macbook pro with an external moniter »