New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Music Transfer Using Ipod

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

grim103

grim103 is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I just got a new laptop and i want to transfer all the songs off my ipod into my new itunes library. I have 1273 songs on the ipod and i was wondering what application that is 100% free could move those songs form the ipod directly into the itunes library. im running 10.6. and the ipod is a Nano Chromatic 8gb. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Corbab

Corbab will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4

I'm sure there are other ways to do this, but here's a way that worked for me:
Plug in your iPod. Go to Terminal and type in: "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE" Hit return, then type: "killall Finder". This will show hidden files. Here's a better explanation of it. (To reverse this when you're done, do the same thing, just type FALSE instead of TRUE).

Click on the iPod icon on your Desktop. I don't remember the exact file path within the iPod folder, but it's somewhere in Music (or something like that). There will be a set of files labeled 001, 002, etc (iirc). Simply drag the files in here to the Automatically Add to iTunes folder (in the iTunes from the Music folder). They will appear in iTunes as 4-letter titles. Go to Advanced>Get CD Track Names, and it will fix all the titles and artists for you.

Though I didn't do this, I'm guessing you could enable the iPod as a hard drive on the computer it's synced with, then put the songs on it and just drag them into iTunes. (Like I said, NO idea if this actually will work).

Sorry about the long post, and like I said, I'm fairly positive there is less strange way of doing this, but that worked for me.

Just a stupid kid with a computer, so take my advice with a grain of salt if that makes a difference to you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« using my macbook pro with an external moniter | 4GB USB flash drive not recognized by MBP »