New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

G4 Trackpad frozen, won't stay in sleep when plugged in-anyone else having this prob?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

curranb79

curranb79 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 12"

My PowerBook G4 12" has been having trouble with the trackpad freezing and not coming back until I reboot. It seemed to start when I did an update a few weeks ago that included an upgrade on iTunes. When I noticed that the problem was especially bad when iTunes was was open I reinstalled iTunes and the problem went away. Unfortunately I was prompted to do another update earlier this week and the problem is back with a vengeance. As iTunes wasn't part of the update this time and everything's been fine since the reinstall I assume it's something different. I've run another update (including a security update, etc.) and have updated Firefox but the problem is still persisting. Also, (this happened before too) when the computer is plugged in, if I try to put it to sleep it will immediately wake up--if I've put it to sleep by closing it, it will just cycle through going to sleep, waking up going to sleep, waking up...

Anyone else having this problem?

In looking around on support.apple.com I found this: Your PowerBook and iBook's trackpad doesn't respond which suggests that such a problem could be related to needing to reset the PMU. However, given that it seems to be related to an update, would that make any sense? Also, the article on resetting the PMU (Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU)) stresses that you should do so only as a last resort - what will happen when I reset it? How much will be affected?
QUOTE Thanks
curranb79

curranb79 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 12"

I forgot to subscribe for feedback so had to post this reply--sorry!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook white 13" - are any aftermarket batteries good? | What is the normal temp for Macbook pro 13? »