New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

WD 1TB drive into a Black Macbook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CameraMike

CameraMike will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: BlackBook 13.3" 2.13ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2gb SDRAM 160gb HD

I am wondering if I can put a WD 1TB scorpio blue hard drive into my Macbook? It's a 2.16 ghz with 2gb ram version running OSX10.4.11.

Has anyone swapped out the 160GB drive for this 1TB drive? Did it work well afterwards?

This drive seems hard to find but I think I can get it here in Japan for a decent price and it is worth it if it's going to work. **** I might buy two and replace the 500GB drive I use in a portable enclosure.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

From the link:

TPVT models are 12.5 mm high and may not be compatible with all notebook systems.

Translation: this probably won't fit into your MacBook, and even if it did (which I doubt), chances are high it would run hot.

My advice would be to let someone else be the guinea pig on this.
QUOTE Thanks
CameraMike

Dang. It seems that the fujitsu drive in here now is 9.5mm high. Seems a the standard height. So is the 640GB WD6400BEVT the most GB I could probably get into my Blackbook? Looks like it'll physically fit. Will it run too hot?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The 640 should be fine. The reasons I say that (even if) the 12.5mm could fit in there it would run hot is because of the complete lack of room for any kind of ventilation, not because larger-capacity drives run hotter (they don't).

I've been very happy with my 320GB Hitachi and you're getting twice the space, so I'd say if you're logical about managing your data you should have no worries about that size at all.
QUOTE Thanks
CameraMike

Did you replace the drive yourself or did Apple do it for you? Do they even do that I wonder. If they can do it for me for a small decent fee I really don't mind.

I found a blog on how to replace my Macs HD and it seems pretty straight forward. It's the same process for replacing the Macbook's HD from apple's site.

One thing that surprises me is that both say to reinstall the OS software and format the drive after installing it into the Macbook. If I put a new 640GB drive in a case format it and copy the 160GB entirely onto the 640GB using Disc Utility or Super Duper, won't the 640GB drive boot up as if it was the old drive after placing it in the Macbook?

Maybe it is better to the format and install/copy to new drive afterwards so I don't connect, disconnect and reconnect the drive saving wear on the pins of the drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Advice on Failing HDD | Early 2008 MBP Caps Lock not working...broken? »