New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Hitachi 500GB SATA - MacBookPro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Farrell

Farrell is on a distinguished road

I have a 2007 issue MBP and a few days ago I busted the HD.

Seeing as it was just a 160Gb unit, I decided to upgrade it to a 500Gb as I had read previously that it was ok to do so.

Installed it yesterday and all is working fine. However, the MBP is still seeing the disk as a 160 Gb and not a 500 Gb unit.

Bizarre? Or is this normal?

Thanks in advance

Farrell
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Welcome to Mac Forums
Open up disk utility, and go to partitions.
What is showing up there?
Please take a screen shot and post it.
Screen shot: holding shift + command +4 and clicking the space bar when you are over the image, and then clicking the mouse button to take the picture.
Post by clicking advanced under the message box and clicking the attachments icon, or use imageshack uploader ImageShack® - Uploader
QUOTE Thanks
Farrell

6string - thank you
I know it is something dumb that I am doing!

Farrell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (64.1 KB, 10 views)
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I've heard of this before, but I don't recall why it was or what the solution was.
If it were me, I would boot from my install disc (holding C when once you hear the chime), select language, the go to utilities>disk utilities in the menu bar, and repair disk, and if that didn't solve it, erase disk.
Hopefully someone will tune into this thread and explain what's going on meanwhile.
QUOTE Thanks
Farrell

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Are you sure that it's the 500GB HD?
The one that's showing up is Hitachi HTS545016B9A300 in the disk description at the bottom which is Hitachi HTS545016B9A300 2.5-Inch 160GB SATA HDD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
Is that the drive that you put in, or is that the drive that was in there?
QUOTE Thanks
smithk2719

smithk2719 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" MacBook Pro 8GB Ram, 500GB HD, Have been an Apple guy since 2002, and will NEVER GO BACK =)

did you use Carbon Copy Cloner? Or another utility?

I had a BIG issue with this three weeks ago when I tried this install. I FINALLY found the solution, and you probably arent gonna like it...

For some reason, even with the 7k500 installed, and unmounted, I booted from an external firewire OWC enclosure where I Had the original HD installed.

I tried cloning literally 6-10 times, with no success. I know Computer stuff pretty well, and on this I was stumped. It did the same thing yours did. I had a 250GB HD originally, and the 500GB kept saying only 250GB hd was installed.

I had enough, I completely erased and reformatted the 7k500, booted from my snow leopard CD, installed a completely new version of it on the 7k500, and once install was complete, dragged and dropped all of the files from my old HD onto my new one. I haven't looked back. It is running fast as ever, and I am grinning ear to ear when I start up applications and load time is half of what it used to be.

Good luck! =)

-Keegan
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

A second check would be to go to System Profiler under 'About this Mac'. Go to Serial -ATA it should tell you the Hitachi model number, space, serial etc.

I'm thinking you got a Hitachi 5400rpm 160GB
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Service Battery? | Late 2009 Unibody Macbook Pro - Win 7 - Wireless Network »