Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   Take care of your battery & it will take care of you... (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/196893-take-care-your-battery-will-take-care-you.html)

TheGreatApple 04-01-2010 01:09 PM

Take care of your battery & it will take care of you...

1 Attachment(s)
I've been noticing more and more that people are coming on here with the latest MBP and complaining about how the battery life is decreasing so drastically, and so early in it's life.

They wonder if my battery is already at just 88% capacity after just 75 cycles, how the heck is it gonna last for 1,000 cycles with a great charge? This is B.S. Apple!!

And yet...I'm willing to bet that just about all of these problems (other than the actual faulty batteries which are rare) are related to the user...as usual.

Keep your battery in good shape, and it will take care of you. I'm far from 1,000 charge cycles, but I'm willing to bet that you can go past that with your original batter still holding a pretty decent charge.

Personally, I do two calibrations per month. Do it properly!!! I also make sure to keep my MBP out of very cold conditions...although not in Texas we have spring here...so that's not a problem ;)

I think the battery has held up pretty darn good so far eh?

TattooedMac 04-01-2010 05:20 PM

Yes i have seen the same with people coming in say the same. My Battery is 45cycles for just on 10mths old. The reason being is i keep it on AC for 27/4 and only use it off the cord if i really need to.
My Battery stats are quite good, mind you i havnt once calibrated it yet. I know i should but my philosophy is dont try to fix something that isnt broke ..

TM

austin77 04-01-2010 06:27 PM

How do you get to that screen? (New mac user, sorry!!!)

TheGreatApple 04-01-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin77 (Post 1028148)
How do you get to that screen? (New mac user, sorry!!!)

No need to be sorry! :)

It's a 3rd party application called Coconut Battery which you can download and very easily use here --> coconut-flavour.com - [coconutBattery 2.6.6]

Enjoy! :)

austin77 04-01-2010 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreatApple (Post 1028151)
No need to be sorry! :)

It's a 3rd party application called Coconut Battery which you can download and very easily use here --> coconut-flavour.com - [coconutBattery 2.6.6]

Enjoy! :)

right on!! Thanks a lot!!

@iph0ne 04-01-2010 07:44 PM

what do you mean by calibrations?

TattooedMac 04-01-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @iph0ne (Post 1028198)
what do you mean by calibrations?

Apple Support - Calibrating your battery

6string 04-01-2010 08:30 PM

Apple Portables: Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance

6string 04-01-2010 08:30 PM

You beat me TM :D

TattooedMac 04-01-2010 08:34 PM

Only seconds mate ;) You wrote more letters lol

chas_m 04-01-2010 08:52 PM

There's no need to do the calibrations anywhere near that often. Once or twice a year should be sufficient for most users.

The bottom line is fairly simple: if you use your battery a lot, you can expect to replace it at some point in your machine's lifetime. If you don't use it a lot, you probably won't.

When you DO use the battery, it's probably best to let go down as far as possible before plugging it back in. You don't have to do this every single time, but at least occasionally you should do that.

I will never understand this mentality that seems to feel that computers OUGHT to be complicated and difficult and that if they're not we should deliberately make them more so.

6string 04-01-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

I will never understand this mentality that seems to feel that computers OUGHT to be complicated and difficult and that if they're not we should deliberately make them more so.
This can be said for more than just computers! :D

firesidedog 04-01-2010 10:38 PM

After eleven months of use, using my battery almost every day, i have 62 load cycles. I calibrate my battery once a month. This is my baby.

JUKE179r 04-06-2010 04:08 AM

2 1/2 years with the same battery on my MBP. With 2 completed calibrations, I'm still topping off at 100% battery capacity!
And yes I am bragging! ;D

Good info... http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=1764220

junwen 04-09-2010 04:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is help a lot actually, tks!
I just get my MBP about 3 weeks time, so this thread give me a good tips for take care of my MBP!