New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro possible logic board failure. HELP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jwhite5598

jwhite5598 is on a distinguished road

Hey I'm having a problem with my Macbook Pro. Its a 2.16 Core Duo 15" A1150. About a month ago I dropped it on the upper left corner which bent the casing at about the magsafe adapter port. I as able to still plug in my adapter enough for it to charge the battery so I didn't think anything happened. Yesterday While I was using it, it shut off completely and won't turn back on. I'm not sure if maybe the DC board is damaged or if its a logic board problem.

At first I thought it might be the DC board and maybe it shorted out but when I plug it in to the wall adapter the little light on the magsafe plug lights up and the battery lights charge. Could the DC board be bad and still charge the battery? The computer won't turn on with the wall adapter or the battery at all.

Is there anything else I can try before I decide it's a logic board failure?

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It does sound like the DC input board may be the culprit. There's really no way you can test it at home as it would have to be removed and replaced. Best to take the machine on in and let Apple look at it. Since you dropped it, the warranty won't cover the cost of repair or replacement for a DC input board if that's the problem.

It's unlikely that the logic board could have failed, although anything is possible.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
thomas998

thomas998 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Late 2008 MBP

One question is how long did it run after the time you dropped it and the time it shut down.... is it possible that the fall knocked a connection between the mag board and the battery loose? I mean it could be possible that you were running on batteries only after the fall and even if the thing is charging no juice could be getting to the battery itself... Simply because the mag light comes on doesn't mean that its passing the current to the battery.

I would bet money against it being a logic board problem if it ran for any time at all after the drop. Most drops that would damage the logic board would cause instant damage.

If you knew someone with the same model you could always drop their fully charged battery in and see if it starts to work... if so then you would know it was something between the mag board and the battery... if it still didn't work with a fresh battery it would be something other than the mag board
QUOTE Thanks
jwhite5598

the macbook worked for probably a month after the drop. It won't run on a battery or the wall adapter (I've tried another battery). The wall adapter still charges the battery fine. I can see the meter on the back going up when its plugged in.
QUOTE Thanks
thomas998

thomas998 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Late 2008 MBP

If you can put in a battery and it charges.... and the battery works in other macbooks then I'm tending to think it isn't the mag board that is causing the problem. I have seen a macbook that had liquid damage where it would charge batteries but no power on... In that case the mac worked fine for a while before it just refused to do anything... though it still charged batteries.... Are you sure the only event has been a drop? It sounds like it could be the logic board but I just can't imagine it working for months after a drop and then quitting.
QUOTE Thanks
jwhite5598

As far as I know the only damage was from the drop, unless my brother spilt something on it without telling me.

I was starting to rule out the magsafe adapter because in my mind if it was the adapter shouldn't it still run off just a battery with a full charge? I took the keyboard off and it looks like the battery connects to the logic board and not the left I/O board.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Messenger Live virus? | Can you help me identify if this is an NVIDIA 8600 failure? »