New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Just a quick question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

walidshrf

walidshrf is on a distinguished road

I've had a Macbook for about 6 months now. And I've gotten pretty accustomed to it. However, one thing that I still haven't worked out and don't really know how to search on how to do it, is this:

If you take a look at this picture:

How I do move from one option to the other by using just my keyboard? In the picture 'Shut Down' is highlighted. If I wanted to move to the left to 'Sleep', how would I do that using my keyboard?

I know on windows it was just a simple left arrow, right arrow but I can't quite figure it out on OS X

Thanks guys
QUOTE Thanks
Corbab

Corbab will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's not possible. If you really don't want to use your mouse, you can hold down the power button to shut down the computer, but that's not especially healthy for the computer. I'd say just deal with using the mouse.

Just a stupid kid with a computer, so take my advice with a grain of salt if that makes a difference to you.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

You can use these keyboard shortcuts to restart/sleep/shutdown your mac.

Option-Command-Eject
Put the computer to sleep

Control-Command-Eject
Quit all applications (after giving you a chance to save changes to open documents), then restart the computer

Control Option-Command-Eject
Quit all applications (after giving you a chance to save changes to open documents), then shut down the computer

And please do not shutdown your computer by just pressing and holding the power button, this will basically brute-force a shutdown on your mac and will after time make the system unable to start. Only do it when the computer is frozen and you can't shut it down the normal way.

Full list of keyboard shortcuts for mac.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Try this when you get that dialog. As far as I can tell it still works:

The default option is Shut Down simply press Enter/Return
Cancel Press Escape
Sleep press s
I believe r Restarts

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
walidshrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
You can use these keyboard shortcuts to restart/sleep/shutdown your mac.

Option-Command-Eject
Put the computer to sleep

Control-Command-Eject
Quit all applications (after giving you a chance to save changes to open documents), then restart the computer

Control Option-Command-Eject
Quit all applications (after giving you a chance to save changes to open documents), then shut down the computer

And please do not shutdown your computer by just pressing and holding the power button, this will basically brute-force a shutdown on your mac and will after time make the system unable to start. Only do it when the computer is frozen and you can't shut it down the normal way.

Full list of keyboard shortcuts for mac.
Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts
Sorry I didn't make it clear initially. I was just using this as an example. There's loads of times where there's different options and I just want to be able to move left and right and choose the different options just by using my keyboard. It's not too much of a problem but it just makes life that little bit easier, lol. Is that possible do you think?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I use the TAB key to select the box and I believe the Spacebar to select that option.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

That's why the Tab function didn't work correctly. I forgot that you have to use the spacebar to "confirm" the selection.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Since I rarely use it, I do the same thing and forget. I had to try it here in fact to refresh my memory before I posted.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I use the TAB key to select the box and I believe the Spacebar to select that option.
If the above doesn't work, you will need to enable "All Controls" under the keyboard preferences.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
walidshrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
That's why the Tab function didn't work correctly. I forgot that you have to use the spacebar to "confirm" the selection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
If the above doesn't work, you will need to enable "All Controls" under the keyboard preferences.

Sweet! thanks a lot guys, I knew there must of been a way . Appreciate it!
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

Generally, pressing the first letter of the preferred option will select that option, as illustrated in response #4 for the dialog box you used for illustration. Works on all (almost all?) option boxes.

Mary
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lost all images? | canon 620 »