New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro Obscenely Slow

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

"fine" is subjective - the issues the OP is having can be due to excessive paging. Sure OSX can run on less, but not optimally.

XP can run on 128GB of RAM and 1.5GB of HD space, but would you?

Problems from insufficient RAM and free hard disk space
http://www.index-site.com/upgradefaq.html
Speed up Mac OS X Leopard | Locomotion
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting
http://www.index-site.com/Macosxspeed.html
http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t...%253C/t-783341.html
QUOTE Thanks
juice

juice is on a distinguished road

You're crazy if you don't think 30 GB on a 120 is enough.... right?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice View Post
You're crazy if you don't think 30 GB on a 120 is enough.... right?
I can't see in this thread where anyone said that!
30GB of 120GB is fine, but it certainly would help having a larger HD, so you didn't have to worry about performance every time you download or install something.
QUOTE Thanks
juice

Maybe I misunderstood "excessive paging."

Also, what is "archive and install?"
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Mac OS X: About the Archive and Install feature

This goes into detail for you. It's a quick and dirty way of getting system files back in line.

If the OS is still slow after that, backup and do Erase and Install, which wipes all.
QUOTE Thanks
juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina View Post
Mac OS X: About the Archive and Install feature

This goes into detail for you. It's a quick and dirty way of getting system files back in line.

If the OS is still slow after that, backup and do Erase and Install, which wipes all.
So it seems Snow Leopard does that automatically. I'm nervous to wipe everything and reinstall. Seems like a huge pain for something that I'm not sure will fix my problem.

My stupid machine takes 5+ minutes to boot, and things are getting worse.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice View Post
So it seems Snow Leopard does that automatically. I'm nervous to wipe everything and reinstall. Seems like a huge pain for something that I'm not sure will fix my problem.

My stupid machine takes 5+ minutes to boot, and things are getting worse.

I don't understand where you got the impression that SL does this.

Have you already tried creating a new account and see if the problems persist?

That's the step to try before going system-wide.

Create a new admin account, delete your account (saving it as an image to the Deleted Users folder) and login as the new one.

If that's doesn't work, back it all up and erase. It's not as daunting as it seems.
QUOTE Thanks
servantjob

servantjob is on a distinguished road

Hi Juice, I am new to Mac and have a similar problem. I have a 13inch MacBook Pro with about 10GB free space.

What I just did was delete the last program I installed, which made my Mac a lot slower. After that program (abt 150MB) was uninstalled, the speed Mac increased significantly. I guess some RAM and other memory was being used as this program was installed.
I also deleted alot of my Podcasts on iTunes as this ate up so much HD space.

In order to help solve my, and maybe your problem, can someone guide us wtih the following:
1. How to edit my start up files (ie, which programs are on standby when I turn on my Mac)
2. How to back up, transfer my iPhotos onto a hard drive.
3. If I use Picassa along side iPhoto, does that double the HD space used up?

Thanks,
Servantjob
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro 8GB Samsung or Hynix???? Need Help | Battery for the MacBook MC207B/A »