New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Ghost

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

esKay786

esKay786 is on a distinguished road

I have a macbook which had a 60gb hard drive, 60gb wasn't enough!
so i got a 500gb and ghosted the image of the 60gb hard drive to my 500g, all works good except i have 60gb of stuff on my hard drive its says my whole hard drive is full even though its a 500gb hard drive ..:S'
help please .!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Ghost really isn't intended to be used with HFS partitions. I'm surprised it actually worked and yielded a bootable system.

I would recommend formatting the 500GB drive and using SuperDuper! to do the clone.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Boybland

Boybland is on a distinguished road

Carbon Copy Cloner is much better for moving OSX data around.
Ghost sometimes seems to do weird things on Macs (Although it seems to work perfectly well for copying/restoring a single Windows partition).
QUOTE Thanks
Boybland

Boybland is on a distinguished road

err than ghost that is, nothing wrong with SuperDuper.
QUOTE Thanks
Mc Newbie

Mc Newbie is on a distinguished road

So how exactly does the carbon copy cloner work?? Does it create a fully bootable copy of your HD onto another HD?? The reason i ask is i have a similar problem i have a 160gb HD in my mac mini and want to swap it for the WD HD in my external (500gb) so can i easily make the external a clone/ghost drive then pull the Drive out of the external and simply swap them over or does that program create a unbootable image of your HD??
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Carbon copy cloner and superduper will both make a bootable clone of your HD.
So easy way is to clone your internal to your 500GB external, and then just plonk it in and you are up and running.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2006 Macbook - Will not boot to OSX harddrive or Disc - grey screen w/apple | MacBook - Keyboard and Trackpad suddenly not working »