New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook G4 - Leopard or stick with Tiger?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

johnwd5

johnwd5 is on a distinguished road

Is anyone successfully running 10.5 on a G4 iBook, 1.07GHz model?

It has 768mb of ram and currently runs Tiger, no issues.

Thanks,
John
QUOTE Thanks
Jamie-Jamie

Jamie-Jamie is a jewel in the roughJamie-Jamie is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS

It shoulddo okay... might want more RAM though!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

How big is your HD, and how much unused space?
Also, iWork, iLife and a few other apps may not play nice with it!
QUOTE Thanks
johnwd5

It has 80GB, maybe 30% used. RAM is 768 but I can go up to 1.25GB, I'm sure there are more discussions on the forum in the past I just didn't find them yet. I figured to ask a few users that may have had success.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

With the ram upgrade and HD as is you should be fine.... but as I say, some of the apps won't play nice, but it should still be fine, as long as you're not spending too much on the Ram and Install discs.
Keep in mind that you need the retail version which looks like
and not the grey machine specific discs as they will not work.
QUOTE Thanks
johnwd5

Thanks for the advice!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

I am running 10.5.8 on my iBook G4 1.33Ghz 12". That was the last 12" iBook they made before the Macbook came out. I have 1GB RAM but want to upgrade to 1.5GB. Mine has a 512MB soldered on the logic board and a slot for another 1GB. With just 1GB it's fine for most usages but that extra 512MB might help for a few things. It's useable for sure for what I do on my iBook.

Max out your RAM and it will probably be fine.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Adding to the above, for what the iBook G4 is worth now, and the minimum outlay to increase the Ram and upgrade to Leopard, to me it sounds like an investment IMHO.
QUOTE Thanks
johnwd5

Great. Thanks to all of you.
QUOTE Thanks
JB Mad Mac

JB Mad Mac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac mini c2d 2.0 & ibook 1.33 1.5gb ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I am running 10.5.8 on my iBook G4 1.33Ghz 12". That was the last 12" iBook they made before the Macbook came out. I have 1GB RAM but want to upgrade to 1.5GB. Mine has a 512MB soldered on the logic board and a slot for another 1GB. With just 1GB it's fine for most usages but that extra 512MB might help for a few things. It's useable for sure for what I do on my iBook.

Max out your RAM and it will probably be fine.
running same thing here with my ibook 1.33. just max out the ram and youll be ok

**Mac Mini C2D 2.0 hooked up to my 32' LCD TV**
**12' iBook 1.33 with 1.5gb ram, everyday netbook. **Both Running 10.5.8**
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook won't power on with battery | Can I disable login/password requirement in 10.5? »