New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook G4 boot problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

corvairman

corvairman is on a distinguished road

My daughter spilled a small amount of tea (no sugar) on the keyboard of a G4 OSX-10.4 iBook. Now, at startup, we get a completely blank gray screen and it sounds as if it's searching the hard drive repeatedly (quiet clicks). After about two minutes the screen goes black for a half-second or so, then comes back gray with a small icon of the Finder folder in the middle, with a blinking question mark replacing the little two-faced Finder guy every second or two. I removed the keyboard and the perforated cover plate over the RAM board and didn't see any trace of liquid contamination. It appeared that the tea only got under the left end of the keyboard and left a very small (one drop) tan deposit on the left end of the metal cover plate to the left of the RAM board cover. I know this looks like many other posts but the fact that we don't get the usual Apple startup screen with the spinning wheel seems like a significant difference. It has enough smarts left to spin CDs and DVDs (and then kick them out) and bring up the Finder folder icon, and that suggests to me that it might be brought back to life. By the way, I don't have a battery in the iBook - that's with my daughter at college, along with the OS install discs. The wife brought the iBook back from a school visit this weekend. Suggestions are welcome!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New MacBook Pro Owner - advise needed | Macbook 13 in »