New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBA won't boot, fsck can't verify

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PC812

PC812 is on a distinguished road

My MacBook was going really slow and I performed a forced shut down because it kept freezing. When I tried to start up again, it wouldn't boot past the Apple logo and the spinning wheel.

Disk Utility won't work because it shuts down before it loads. Same for safe mode. It works in single-user mode and fsck returned the following:

disk0s2: I/O error.
Invalid node structure
(4, 0)
Invalid B-tree node size
(4, 0)
Invalid node structure
(4, 0)
Invalid B-tree node size
(4, 0)
** The volume could not be verified completely.
/dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I'm running Snow Leopard on my machine.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Welcome to Mac Forums
Have you tried booting in single user mode (command +s)?
I don't think that disk utility will help you much without the Macbook Air USB superdrive, as you need to boot from either a clone or install disc to repair the disk.
QUOTE Thanks
PC812

Single-user mode works fine (seems like the only thing), that's how I Used fsck.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Sorry, I should have caught that as stated in your OP (a bit late here in Oz) :/
Well, if you can get hold of the Macbook Air USB superdrive, then I believe there is a way to mount if to recover your files in single user mode, but I don't know the procedure, and maybe someone will come along shortly with the answer to that.
Then you can repair, and if the need be, clean install.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

I'm thinking diskwarrior is going to be needed here too!
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Still difficult to repair. I'm thinking clean install is the only way to go here, and hope that it keeps files if you archive and install (SL does this by default).

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
PC812

I have a Superdrive so if anyone knows how to mount with that, please tell me.

I ordered a copy of DiskWarrior and the software is being shipped. They sent me a download of it as well, but as it's a dmg file I can't do much with it on the old Windowa laptop I have for a backup computer. I tried putting the dmg on a USB stick and then using it on the MBA but no luck.

I'm not against a clean install. If that's what I have to do, then I'll do it. Problem is the computer shuts down every time I try to boot up the install disc.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook 13 in | Hyper-sensitive macbook mouse button - ungh »