New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Trackpad button (& left mouse button) not working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oque

oque is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by intransit View Post
I had a problem where my track pad button stopped working. I took it to Genius bar and they actually were geniuses. The battery in the macbook pro had expanded substantially and pressed on the rest of the case such that the track pad no longer clicked. The battery was replaced for free even though it was 4 years old and the trackpad clicks now perfectly and I have a new battery.
Thanks, this solved my problem. Couldn't understand why my machine started heating up recently and my trackpad was unresponsive. The battery case was a little misshaped but I assumed it was just old and a result of normal aging. Took the battery out and everything works great. I just hope I can get Apple to replace the battery.

Thanks for sharing your success.
QUOTE Thanks
zini

zini is on a distinguished road

hey everybody, this thread solved the problem for me...

DieFledermaus... the file you want is. com.apple.driver.AppleBluetootheMultitouch.trackpa d.plist

it is in your user/Library/Preference folder...

i actually found a total of 3 mouse-related apple driver files right there... and deleting those three via safe mode and restarting the computer fixed my trackpad mouse problems!
QUOTE Thanks
Ginamos

Ginamos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by intransit View Post
I had a problem where my track pad button stopped working. I took it to Genius bar and they actually were geniuses. The battery in the macbook pro had expanded substantially and pressed on the rest of the case such that the track pad no longer clicked. The battery was replaced for free even though it was 4 years old and the trackpad clicks now perfectly and I have a new battery.
Thanks for that, just had exactly the same problem. I was aware the battery was bulging, but never made the connection it would affect the mouse.
QUOTE Thanks
reddogmike

reddogmike is on a distinguished road

Macbook Pro, less than a year old.
QUOTE Thanks
mscalora

mscalora is on a distinguished road

I was having this problem for a few days, after reading this thread I realized my problem was a bluetooth mouse I left on (or got switched on accidentally) in my laptop bag. Once I found the mouse and turned it off the problem was solved.

-Mike
QUOTE Thanks
madturki

madturki is on a distinguished road

Man I feel so stupid but sure enough that was the problem. The magic mouse in the backpack turned on with it's button getting pressed... Thanks for this silly but useful tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscalora View Post
I was having this problem for a few days, after reading this thread I realized my problem was a bluetooth mouse I left on (or got switched on accidentally) in my laptop bag. Once I found the mouse and turned it off the problem was solved.

-Mike
QUOTE Thanks
dnimtz

dnimtz is on a distinguished road

My problem is a bit different. I have a Macbook pro (2011), and an Apple bluetooth keyboard, Magic trackpad, and an Apple Magic mouse. Typically I have the Macbook pro docked, and then use the keyboard, and magic trackpad - occasionally the mouse too. Everything works perfectly. However, every once and awhile, usually after overnight, the magic trackpad, stops responding to clicks. I can move the cursor fine, but no clicking at all. At that point, I usually also try the mouse. It will also move the cursor fine, but left clicking also doesn't work from the mouse. I can usually mouse over the system menu (apple logo) and right click the mouse, and select shutdown. Once shutdown, I usually undock the macbook pro, turn off the keyboard, trackpad and mouse. Power up the macbook pro, and 99% of the time I can use the macbook pro's trackpad to click and login. Every once and awhile even that internal trackpad click won't take. Another power off, and things will be fine again.

So something is causing a completely functioning bluetooth keyboard, magic trackpad, magic mouse and internal trackpad to stop responding to clicks - most typically after long periods of idle/sleep. I do have Lion.

Anyone seen this sort of thing?

Thanks,
- Dan
QUOTE Thanks
kandrson

kandrson is on a distinguished road

I'm sort of having the same issue. My trackpad scrolling works just fine, but I can't click on most things. It's not like this all the time though..about 75%. Whenever I restart, I can always click to login, but once im logged in I can't left click. It hardly ever works right off the bat, but sometimes, if I let my computer sit for a few minutes or go to sleep, it will start working. I've tried a magic trackpad, and a wired mouse, but nothing works. However, my battery did expand and I had to remove it. I'm a little embarrassed to say that it was quite bad by the time I realized it. I'm thinking this is what messed it up. Is there anything I can do to fix it myself? My computer is no longer under warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
dnimtz

dnimtz is on a distinguished road

I don't necessarily have a fix, but I've recently found a work around for my situation which seems to be working (at least for the last couple of weeks).

I've found that as long as I wake my mbp up (or have it come out of the screensaver) using ONLY my keyboard (in other words, I hit the shift key, or enter key, etc) and insure I don't touch the magic trackpad, and THEN wait a few minutes (at most) before touching the magic trackpad, things seem to work fine.

Don't ask me why, but it seems to be working that way.
QUOTE Thanks
kandrson

kandrson is on a distinguished road

Hmm, strange. I will have to try that when I get home from work. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Danffia

Danffia is on a distinguished road

Quote:

-Mike
Man! Genius! How did I not think of this!! was my magic mouse in my bag. Had to register on here to say thanks! lol.

Dan
QUOTE Thanks
MadMacx

MadMacx is on a distinguished road

Quote:

-Mike
Thanks Mike. This solved my problem. (I don't think I've ever been more embarrassed that I didn't think of this myself tho.)
QUOTE Thanks
yugenro

yugenro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Fledermaus View Post
Never heard anything. Still have to use a mouse.
OK dude-- I had this exact same problem yesterday. After googling around for a while-- found it! Bluetooth! The connection to my Bluetooth mouse was messed up somehow-- so, I removed it from my Bluetooth prefs and BOOM! All working again!

Then just re-established a connection with my Bluetooth mouse again and everything's been fine since!!! Try it!
QUOTE Thanks
marta.velosa

marta.velosa is on a distinguished road

I know its been 2 years since this post, but I had the same problem and managed to solve it.

Try to sign in using the keyboard. Once the system ha started, press Alt+Cmd+Esc, the "Force quit application" window will appear. With the mouse close that window. The mouse buttons and track pad should work now. This is the way I found to get pass this bug.
QUOTE Thanks
polosven

polosven is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zini View Post
hey everybody, this thread solved the problem for me...

DieFledermaus... the file you want is. com.apple.driver.AppleBluetootheMultitouch.trackpa d.plist

it is in your user/Library/Preference folder...

i actually found a total of 3 mouse-related apple driver files right there... and deleting those three via safe mode and restarting the computer fixed my trackpad mouse problems!
Hi there,

I've got the very same problem, which leads me to use a mouse on my macbook.
Which ones are the "3 mouse-related apple driver files" you found right there?
I tried to delete "com.apple.driver.AppleBluetootheMultitouch.trackp ad.plist" but the problem remains the same and the file comes back again and again...
Really annoying...

Thanks for your help
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Reviving my black MacBook | MBP 2011 Running Slow after S.M.A.R.T Error »