New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New MacBook Pro Owner - advise needed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Diane79

Diane79 is on a distinguished road

I have recently bought the Macbook Pro and the following new softwares:

1. Aperture 3
2. LOGIC STUDIO
3. Bento 3
4. intego Virus barrier
5. MAc Box Set
6. windows 7 ultimate
7. parallels 5
8. quicktime 7 pro
9. drive genius 2
10. toast titanium
11. rhino 4

Can anyone advise the sequence to install these programmes??

New Kid on the Block
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Welcome to the Forum. Wont actually make any difference which order u use. Hope you have good sized Ram then you can run lots of those at the same time.
When i comes to number 4 on your list - i would not bother with it. Been using Macs for years and never had a virus or virus type software, just dont go to dodgy sites.
Ooops just noticed parallels - some one else can give advice on that - not my scene.
QUOTE Thanks
Diane79

Thank you

Oh no virus needed!!?? How nice!!

I intend to buy the 7200rpm is this ok?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough

i had 7200 on mine and had no issues altho some say that the battery will be used a bit more but have never seen a figure for it.
QUOTE Thanks
Diane79

Mine is a standard 2X2GB ram now. Is it ok to install all these programmes? Do you have any recommendations?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

The AV software you have you might want to use it with your windows OS, but as collin was trying to say is you have no need for it on the OS X side of the system.

You need to treat the Windows side of your installation as if you had JUST a windows machine. You are still prone to whatever viri/trojans/malware thats is out there that will affect Windows .......

TM

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

I would say if you are planning on a Dual boot deal the best to deal with that first and get parallels set up, but as i say - that is out of my league so not sure of the best path to follow. Hang fire as there are plenty of others who can advise u on that, and who will post suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks
Diane79

Is the Hitachi Travelstar 7K500 2.5-inch 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive is suitable n good? any other options to consider What about the rams? Is samsung 4GB DDR3 1066 good enough? any other recommendations? Which brand to go for?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Diane have a look at OWC-MacSales and look for the My OWC tab. Click that and then follow through the steps to put in your Mac specs and it will give you what is compatible with your machine. Anything that comes up in the lists i would consider as OWC test all there products on Mac's so us public dont get ripped off.
Im in Aust and there customer service is second to none and was delivered before time. I would recommend them to anyone ....

TM

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Diane79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Diane have a look at OWC-MacSales and look for the My OWC tab. Click that and then follow through the steps to put in your Mac specs and it will give you what is compatible with your machine. Anything that comes up in the lists i would consider as OWC test all there products on Mac's so us public dont get ripped off.
Im in Aust and there customer service is second to none and was delivered before time. I would recommend them to anyone ....

TM
Thank you tattooedmac. But am not in Australia, that option is out for me. Nevertheless, it is a good reference for me.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Like what was said omit no.4 and use MSE on Windows 7 side and you make me have software envy thats a chunk of change in software alone.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post

TM
Quote:
Thank you tattooedmac. But am not in Australia, that option is out for me. Nevertheless, it is a good reference for me.
This is a US site, however they will deliver anywhere... Where are you located?
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

You kind of went on a shopping spree didn't you. I'm not familiar with all the Mac software you listed but there shouldn't really be a specific order necessary. Most software is meant to be installed separate so the order shouldn't effect each other.

As for Windows 7 and Parallels it depends on whether you need to run Windows by itself as if your computer was a Windows PC or do you want run Windows simultaneously with Mac using Parallels? The benefit of the first option is that you can run Windows at full power for software that needs it like video games. You can do this with a free Mac software called Boot Camp. You can have both a Boot Camp install and a Parallels Windows install but I believe you have to install Windows through Boot Camp first if you want that option.

If you are sure you don't need the full power of Windows then you can just install Parallels and it should then ask you to install Windows. Most people don't need the run Windows at full power unless you play games or use other intensive Windows software.
QUOTE Thanks
foxj66

foxj66 is on a distinguished road

You can add boot camp to Parallels later, you just go back though the normal steps of setting up a VM. I like this method because it allows me to access my windows when needed for some things without logging out of the Mac side, yet leaves me with a full powered windows machine when needed.

2.26 GHz White Unibody,160GB Intel X-25m, 8GB Ram, Mac mini 2.26GHz, 500GB 7200 RPM Hitachi drive, 4GB Ram
QUOTE Thanks
Diane79

Am in China....

Ya I went on a shopping spree....haha....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Random Restart | iBook G4 boot problem »