New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Mac Book vs. Mac Book Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chalky

Chalky is on a distinguished road

Looking to get a laptop but can't decide whether Mac Book or Mac Book Pro.

What's the pros and cons with the mac book pro.

I see the hard drive is only 160gb on the pro compared to 250 on the mac book.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

All the material you need to make a comparison is here.
Apple - Mac

Unless you had other questions in mind.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
SweetCosmicPope

SweetCosmicPope has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5

Ok, here goes.

MBP has an SD slot and firewire ports. Also has the backlit keyboard and is upgradable to 8 gigs of RAM. It suffers from having a smaller hard drive, however that can be upgraded for an extra fee. It also, obviously has the tougher aluminum unibody design, as opposed to the weaker polycarbonate unibody design. This is a plus and a minus, as wireless signals apparently work better through the plastic body, however, the aluminum is far more durable (plus, it just looks so pimp).

Other than that, they are essentially the same machine. If the aluminum body doesn't matter, and you're not going to do any hardcore computing, and don't need those extra slots, I'd suggest saving the money and going with the white unibody. Otherwise, I'd go pro.

"That's Peter Graves scat! I'd know it anywhere!"
QUOTE Thanks
Dragonhunter

Dragonhunter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 MacBook, Touch 2ndgen 16g iOS 4

Don't think the polycarbonate is flimsy, though. It is a unibody design and feels way more solid than your typical PC laptop.

I made the jump to a MB in December and have been very pleased. Like you, I didn't see any compelling reason to go pro....

Dragonhunter
QUOTE Thanks
SweetCosmicPope

SweetCosmicPope has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5

Well, I went pro, but it was a very tough call. I loved the aesthetics of the pro right off the bat, but I felt it was silly to spend a bunch of money on that alone. After weighing my options, it was the firewire that really sealed the deal for me. I don't do any hardcore video editing or anything, but I do splice the occasional wedding video, so I needed that option. If it wasn't for that, I probably would have gone with the standard macbook.

"That's Peter Graves scat! I'd know it anywhere!"
QUOTE Thanks
Tripped

Tripped is on a distinguished road

Ya I feel that it really depends what you're using the computer for. For most, 8gb's of ram would be incredibly unnecessary. As for the hardrive, I find it to be much more effective to replace that with third party hardware. My macbook hardrive was half the price of the one apple would sell for the same price, yet mine is 7200rpm as opposed to 5400rpm. APPARENTLY, it also runs quieter and cooler, though I have no way of knowing if this is true.

Only reason I kind of would like to get the macbook pro is to get that 3ghz of processing speed, though the price is a huge turnoff...
QUOTE Thanks
funkdabeat

funkdabeat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2010 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 320M

Quote:
This is a plus and a minus, as wireless signals apparently work better through the plastic body
I think the wireless antenna is the aluminium enclosure, at least on the non unibody macbook pro it is. Also i perfer the MBP because of its aluminium, backlit keyboard and the higher amount of RAM. The Macbook does run much cooler and has a smooth feel.

Hacking - Doing what the developers couldn't.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhunter View Post
Don't think the polycarbonate is flimsy,

My old White MB isnt flimsy in any ........ I can pick it up from any corner with a dvd playing with no contortion what so ever.
And i am thinking the new unibody MB is as solid or more so

TM

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Chalky

Chalky is on a distinguished road

I won't be using the Macbook, pro or not, for hard core computing, mainly editing some sound files, photos, e-mail and internet, general computing really.

Thanks for your help, still undecided
QUOTE Thanks
Andy007

Andy007 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Unibody Macbook (end 2009)

If thats all youre going to be doing with it, id say save the money and get the Macbook. Its a higher HD so you wont need to upgrade unless youre saving crazy amounts of sound files.

I was in the same dilemma as you a few weeks ago and ended up getting the white one...haven't regretted it for a second
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which MBP would you keep for these needs: | In need of Invisible Shield review! »