Macbook pro will not power on at all
    my 85W power adapter appeared to die this week so i bought a new non-apple version from amazon, although i'm not sure that is relevant. The laptop meanwhile ran out of charge completely. Now i have the new adapter and my mac will not respond at all. the adapter light is permantly green (apart from the first time i plugged it in where it went orange but the mac still wouldnt respond so I unplugged it and plugged it in again). it won't respond with the battery removed and ac power attached either. I've left it for a while plugged in to no avail. the battery lights are all off and the button on the battery does nothing. It continued to work fine after the adapter broke earlier in the week, until it ran out of battery. I'm completely stuck.

Any ideas?

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Do you have any idea why the original power adapter went bad in the first place?

If you had some sort of electrical surge at the location you had the laptop plugged in (home, work, school)...that could have blown the power adapter & damaged something inside the computer...which could explain why the new power adapter isn't powering up the laptop.

Just a thought,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    Welcome to mac Forums

Sounds like you got a dodgy adapter.... the best way to tell is to get hold of another adapter, if you have a friend with a Mac, or going somewhere where they sell macs, and plugging into one of the adapters and seeing if it works!

Before you do the above, you could try
    Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
    and
    Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

thanks for the responses. I'll check out the adapter, although the fact that the green light goes on at all (on the magsafe plug that is) suggests that its not likely to be that. I wonder what my chances of getting Apple to fix this free of charge are, I have no warranty left or applecare, although the **** thing is only 2 years ond...

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    the fact that the green light goes on at all (on the magsafe plug that is) suggests that its not likely to be that.
    Not necessarily!

I wonder what my chances of getting Apple to fix this free of charge are, I have no warranty left or applecare, although the **** thing is only 2 years ond...
    Not very good!

Did you reset the SMC, etc?

I assume that I cannot do any software or firmware reset when the laptop will not accept power and is completely out of battery, is this correct?

Specs:
    Not without going somewhere that you have access tp a working adapter... I should have thought of that in my earlier post!

Thread Information