New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

DATA RECOVERY from dead HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

selloutt

selloutt is an unknown at this point

Hi GUYS

WHATS THE BEST WAY TO EXTRACT DATA FROM A HARD DRIVE THAT IS NOT BOOTING UP ? (I CANT GET COMPUTER TO BOOT FROM HD OR SEE HD ON ANOTHER MACHINE USING DATA MIGRATION)....

ANY HELP APPRECIATED
QUOTE Thanks
selloutt

Also, apple recovered some of my files, my music and pictures. What i really need are my emails from entourage. Im not sure how apple extracted the data, but they said they did not have the time to recover or extract my emails (entourage).

Any help arreciated
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Apple uses some kind of proprietary tool (I believe) for this.

As for getting your email back, the big question is: was it saved on the server or not?

If it was (and you can check by visiting your email account through webmail using a web browser), then no issues, your next email program (I suggest Mail) will read it right in. If it wasn't, then you've got two choices: attempt to rescue the files yourself using third-party tools like Tech Tool Pro, or pay a data recovery service.

Pros and Cons of doing it yourself:
PRO: its way cheaper -- most of the recovery programs like Stellar Phoneix, TTP, Disk Warrior and so on run around $100-200.
CON: chances are pretty high you'll get very little or any of it back.

Pros and Cons of paying a data recovery service:
PRO: They will almost certainly get EVERYTHING off that hard drive back for you.
CON: It will cost you $1200 or more.

This is why we go on and on and on around here about the value of backups.
QUOTE Thanks
selloutt

what is the best data recovery software ? DATA RESCUE ?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by selloutt View Post
what is the best data recovery software ? DATA RESCUE ?
I have Data Rescue II and it works like a charm in most cases. Data Rescue III is the newest release. I'd buy it if I were you.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I believe both Data Rescue and Stellar Phoenix have trial copies which can be downloaded and run to see if your data can be extracted from the dead drive.

(No harm in purchasing Data Rescue III as it is excellent software.)

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
james_b

james_b is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: mbp

Disk Warrior every time.
QUOTE Thanks
selloutt

So I got data rescue 3. Ran a QUICK SCAN and it looks like all of my files showed up.

MY FINAL QUESTION IS :::::

I need to recover my emails from ENTOURAGE. What do they look like and how do I find them ????

Thanks !!
QUOTE Thanks
selloutt

OK I found them in OFFICE 2008 IDENTITIES. Now the big question is how do I import them ?? I cant seem to get entourage to read the old files with the entourage IMPORT menu...any ideas ?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro screen won't turn on and I think it's the video card | Running MB Pro on Secondary Display - Question »