Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   DATA RECOVERY from dead HD (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/196041-data-recovery-dead-hd.html)

selloutt 03-25-2010 02:29 PM

DATA RECOVERY from dead HD

Hi GUYS

WHATS THE BEST WAY TO EXTRACT DATA FROM A HARD DRIVE THAT IS NOT BOOTING UP ? (I CANT GET COMPUTER TO BOOT FROM HD OR SEE HD ON ANOTHER MACHINE USING DATA MIGRATION)....

ANY HELP APPRECIATED

selloutt 03-25-2010 02:38 PM

Also, apple recovered some of my files, my music and pictures. What i really need are my emails from entourage. Im not sure how apple extracted the data, but they said they did not have the time to recover or extract my emails (entourage).

Any help arreciated

chas_m 03-25-2010 03:00 PM

Apple uses some kind of proprietary tool (I believe) for this.

As for getting your email back, the big question is: was it saved on the server or not?

If it was (and you can check by visiting your email account through webmail using a web browser), then no issues, your next email program (I suggest Mail) will read it right in. If it wasn't, then you've got two choices: attempt to rescue the files yourself using third-party tools like Tech Tool Pro, or pay a data recovery service.

Pros and Cons of doing it yourself:
PRO: its way cheaper -- most of the recovery programs like Stellar Phoneix, TTP, Disk Warrior and so on run around $100-200.
CON: chances are pretty high you'll get very little or any of it back.

Pros and Cons of paying a data recovery service:
PRO: They will almost certainly get EVERYTHING off that hard drive back for you.
CON: It will cost you $1200 or more.

This is why we go on and on and on around here about the value of backups.

selloutt 03-25-2010 05:07 PM

what is the best data recovery software ? DATA RESCUE ?

baggss 03-25-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selloutt (Post 1024172)
what is the best data recovery software ? DATA RESCUE ?

I have Data Rescue II and it works like a charm in most cases. Data Rescue III is the newest release. I'd buy it if I were you.

chscag 03-25-2010 05:39 PM

I believe both Data Rescue and Stellar Phoenix have trial copies which can be downloaded and run to see if your data can be extracted from the dead drive.

(No harm in purchasing Data Rescue III as it is excellent software.)

Regards.

james_b 03-25-2010 05:52 PM

Disk Warrior every time.

selloutt 03-27-2010 11:09 AM

How do i find my emails ?

So I got data rescue 3. Ran a QUICK SCAN and it looks like all of my files showed up.

MY FINAL QUESTION IS :::::

I need to recover my emails from ENTOURAGE. What do they look like and how do I find them ????

Thanks !!

selloutt 03-27-2010 05:34 PM

OK I found them in OFFICE 2008 IDENTITIES. Now the big question is how do I import them ?? I cant seem to get entourage to read the old files with the entourage IMPORT menu...any ideas ?