Thread: Memory issues

Specs:
    15" MACBOOK PRO - 2.8Ghz / 4GB Ram / 500GB HD / NVIDIA GeForce 9400M-NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Exclamation Memory issues
    I have a brand new (3 weeks old 15" Macbook Pro - 2.8Ghz, 4GB Ram, 500GB hd, Both Graphics cards) and every time I check my activity monitor to see what resources I'm using up, it consistently says that I am using 2.2GB of ram when I literally have nothing open except the activity monitor. I don't understand this at all. How can I be using that much ram on nothing???

Any insight or help with this would be extremely helpful.

Specs:
    Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
    It's normal. Forget about it, for serious. My Mac Pro runs about half-full all the time. There's way more going on behind that pretty purple aurora than you'll ever imagine.

Specs:
    15" MACBOOK PRO - 2.8Ghz / 4GB Ram / 500GB HD / NVIDIA GeForce 9400M-NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Ok. It just seemed odd to me. So if I try to run Logic Pro 9 with that little amount of ram will it bog down do you think cause I bought Logic Studio and it will be here in a week so I'm a little concerned.

Specs:
    No, it won't. You don't have "a little amount of RAM." Mac OS X will take care of itself. RAM isn't like a bottle that fills up linearly. The operating system will dynamically load what is needed at any moment and page what isn't needed off to disk. Like I said, there's way more going on back there than you'll ever imagine. If I could just put it this way...

>BONG!<

Welcome to Macintosh.

Specs:
    Thanks. Thats good to know. I have been thinking about upgrading my Ram since I got it anyways cause I know the more Ram I have the better my Audio apps like Pro Tools and Logic will run better but what do you recommend. Do you recommend getting some lesser expensive Ram like $375 for the 8GB Ram or going the expensive way?

Specs:
    What's the expensive way? Apple? LOL

Just use it with 4GB for now. I think you'll find that's more than enough. Please remember I used to do the same things on computers with 512MB and things were just fine.

Just feel lucky that you don't have to deal with preemptive multitasking, manually-configured virtual memory, and memory limits per application. That's REAL Macintosh.

Thread Information