Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46

Thread: Good Deal???

  1. #1


    Member Since
    Mar 23, 2010
    Posts
    23
    Question Good Deal???
    Ok so all my life ive used PC's and now that my last Laptop (Alienware) went out im wanting a MACBOOK Pro.

    so ive found this laptop on Craigslist and im not sure if this is a good deal or not.

    15 inch Apple Macbook Pro MINT

    i like the fact that it has Windows 7 on it i think it will make the transition a little easier for me.

    so what do you guys think?

  2. #2

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,255
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    In my humble opinion it's not that great of a deal.

    First...if it comes with Windows 7 installed on it...is the seller including the install disk(s) & the install serial number? If not...then Windows 7 on the laptop would be an unauthorized copy!

    Second. For $199 more ($1699 vs. $1500) you could get this refurbished MacBook Pro directly from Apple:

    Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

    With:

    - a full 12 month warranty
    - a faster processor (2.66ghz vs. 2.53ghz)
    - double the ram (4 gig vs. 2 gig)

    Hope this helps,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Mar 23, 2010
    Posts
    23
    ok i dont think he has the install disk idk ill have to ask him.

    But Windows 7 being on a new Mac is a big + for me cause ive never worked on a Mac before and i have alot of Programs/Games i like on windows such as..
    Photoshop
    After Effects
    Sony Vegas
    Photomatrix

    and i want to be able to install all of those with ease.
    oh and im not worried about the Windows on it being legal or not lol

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Location
    Down Under :D
    Posts
    5,484
    Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    Welcome to Mac Forums
    Looks like a good deal, and it should still have warranty, but I would want to see it in person, and take a little time to play around with it and check it out.
    If it were all good, I would also want to purchase Applecare (extended warranty) which you have to get before the warranty runs out.
    Personally, I'm not a fan of secondhand computers, but that is a personal choice.
    I would wait for input from other members who may have input as to safety nets re craigslist, as I am in Oz, and we don't have craigs list, and I don't know what sort of cover is offered.
    I would also want the serial no of the Machine so that I could check that it's not stolen!

    Re Pigoo's post.... I looked at the refurbs in the Oz site by mistake when saying it was a good deal.... looking at the US site, that refurb would be a way better option!

  5. #5

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,255
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodeen2000 View Post
    ok i dont think he has the install disk idk ill have to ask him.

    But Windows 7 being on a new Mac is a big + for me cause ive never worked on a Mac before and i have alot of Programs/Games i like on windows such as..
    Photoshop
    After Effects
    Sony Vegas
    Photomatrix

    and i want to be able to install all of those with ease.
    oh and im not worried about the Windows on it being legal or not lol
    Two things:

    1. You can always purchase an Intel based Macintosh, purchase your own copy of Windows 7...and then install Windows 7 on the laptop yourself.

    2. We don't discuss illegal software or unauthorized copies of software on MacForums.

    Good luck,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Mar 23, 2010
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    Welcome to Mac Forums
    Looks like a good deal, and it should still have warranty, but I would want to see it in person, and take a little time to play around with it and check it out.
    If it were all good, I would also want to purchase Applecare (extended warranty) which you have to get before the warranty runs out.
    Personally, I'm not a fan of secondhand computers, but that is a personal choice.
    I would wait for input from other members who may have input as to safety nets re craigslist, as I am in Oz, and we don't have craigs list, and I don't know what sort of cover is offered.
    I would also want the serial no of the Machine so that I could check that it's not stolen!

    Re Pigoo's post.... that refurb would be a way better option!

    yea but that refurb wouldnt be just an extra 199 buck you would have to throw in tax too and im not rich so 1500 bucks is more then i really should be spending

    and thanks for the welcome

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Mar 23, 2010
    Posts
    23
    Keensake was
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Two things:

    1. You can always purchase an Intel based Macintosh, purchase your own copy of Windows 7...and then install Windows 7 on the laptop yourself.

    2. We don't discuss illegal software or unauthorized copies of software on MacForums.

    Good luck,

    - Nick

    No i wasnt trying to discuss it lol

    im just saying if it already has it on the Mac then that would be less money i would have to spend to get it.

    i think its an OK deal i know ill probably hate myself for not spending the extra 200/300 bucks on that refurb

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Location
    Down Under :D
    Posts
    5,484
    Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodeen2000 View Post
    i think its an OK deal i know ill probably hate myself for not spending the extra 200/300 bucks on that refurb
    I think you will too!
    Much better specs, full warranty, knowledge that it has been properly looked over by Apple, and the option of purchasing the extended warranty anytime with the 12month original warranty period.
    I really would recommend holding out if you can!

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Mar 23, 2010
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    I think you will too!
    Much better specs, full warranty, knowledge that it has been properly looked over by Apple, and the option of purchasing the extended warranty anytime with the 12month original warranty period.
    I really would recommend holding out if you can!

    IDK bro im pretty excited about it lol im gonna do some more research.

  10. #10

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,255
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodeen2000 View Post
    yea but that refurb wouldnt be just an extra 199 buck you would have to throw in tax too and im not rich so 1500 bucks is more then i really should be spending
    Do you really NEED this particular MacBook Pro for $1500? There are other used MacBook/MacBook Pro models out there that would/could cost you a lot less.

    For starters...you could get a brand new entry level MacBook for $999. Or get this refurbished MacBook for $849:

    Refurbished MacBook 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Mar 23, 2010
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Do you really NEED this particular MacBook Pro for $1500? There are other used MacBook/MacBook Pro models out there that would/could cost you a lot less.

    For starters...you could get a brand new entry level MacBook for $999. Or get this refurbished MacBook for $849:

    Refurbished MacBook 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

    - Nick
    ok for one i didnt want anything smaller then a 15 inch screen. 2 idk why but i want a macbook pro. whats the big diffrence ?

  12. #12

    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    21,713
    Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    And with free shipping on the machine Nick found is a better deal!

  13. #13

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,255
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodeen2000 View Post
    ok for one i didnt want anything smaller then a 15 inch screen. 2 idk why but i want a macbook pro. whats the big diffrence ?
    Ok so no 13" MacBook. But there are still lots of used 15" MacBook Pros out there for a lot less than $1500. You never really said what you're going to be doing with this laptop...so you may not need the "horsepower" of this $1500 laptop.

    I personally purchased a used 17" MacBook Pro 8 months ago for $725!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  14. #14


    Member Since
    Mar 23, 2010
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Ok so no 13" MacBook. But there are still lots of used 15" MacBook Pros out there for a lot less than $1500. You never really said what you're going to be doing with this laptop...so you may not need the "horsepower" of this $1500 laptop.

    I personally purchased a used 17" MacBook Pro 8 months ago for $725!

    - Nick
    well thats a really good deal lol where do i find deals like that? im really worried about buying one over the internet due to shipping and possibly getting ripped off.

    i do Photo/music/video editing and play a little bit of games(MW2) if that helps any.

  15. #15

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,255
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodeen2000 View Post
    well thats a really good deal lol where do i find deals like that? im really worried about buying one over the internet due to shipping and possibly getting ripped off.
    How do you find a good deal?...be patient...don't be in a hurry.

    Buying over the internet for the most part is not a problem:

    - With Craig's List you can actually see, feel, and use the computer before buying it.
    - If you purchase a new or refurbished computer from Apple.com...no worries there.
    - e-Bay can be a bit more complex (and you will probably pay due to more buyers & the auction format). But if you pay with Paypal...Paypal is pretty darn good...and usually rule in favor of the buyer if there is a problem.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Can someone tell me if this is a good deal?
    By jonasjd21 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 06:38 PM
  2. Good deal or not?
    By sguniverse in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-12-2010, 11:51 PM
  3. Is this a good deal?
    By dimestock in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-20-2009, 04:38 AM
  4. is this a good deal?
    By timetochange in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-01-2009, 08:47 AM
  5. too good of a deal?
    By TomyDingo in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-04-2005, 10:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •