New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

How To Lock Folders For Privacy ???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

musicmad

musicmad is on a distinguished road

Hi

I recently added personal information to a file that I would like to keep private in a folder, i double clicked the file > get information > and checked the Locked box. a lock icon appears next to the folder but the folder does not lock, each time I attempt to open the folder it opens.. what am I doing wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

"Locking" a folder only prevents you from writing anything new to it, not viewing its contents.

What you want is a password-protected or encrypted folder. You can create one via third party programs like Cryptor (and there are many others), or if you can create an encrypted disk image that can expand in size via Disk Utility.

Be careful of programs that offer to make your secure folders invisible -- unless you REALLY trust your memory!!

Bottom line, however, is that you can achieve much BETTER security on your data by simply not allowing anyone else physical access to your account. Set them up with their own account instead -- they won't be able to access your data.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

There is software (Like Espionage) out there that will let you lock a folder with a password, a much better solution would be to put those file(s) into a secure DMG.
Follow these instructions on how to create a secure DMG.

EDIT: Chas beat me to it.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmad View Post
Hi

I recently added personal information to a file that I would like to keep private in a folder, i double clicked the file > get information > and checked the Locked box. a lock icon appears next to the folder but the folder does not lock, each time I attempt to open the folder it opens.. what am I doing wrong?
Take a step back man ....

Maybe you should start by explaining what it is that you are trying to achieve.
Give us a description of your ' problem space ' instead of immediately jumping into the ' solution space '.
Confidentiality of data / information can be achieved in a number of ways, and each of them has pro's and con's.

What are the threats that you are concerned about ?

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

McBie has it right, a description of what type of content you are attempting to protect, why and from whom would provide better solutions.

For much of the simple private data, using Secure Notes in Keychain may be all you need. No one would be able to access it without your password.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
musicmad

Quote:
What you want is a password-protected or encrypted folder. You can create one via third party programs like Cryptor

Thanks! Chas, will download and install. I luv this forum, each time i post a question i receive an immediate response, you're all very supportive, thanks to the Mac Forum community.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

It would be a nice feature for OS X to have though, considering it is such a simple feature! "Password to open this file"
....and before anyone reads this and harps on about me wanting my Mac to behave like windozzzzze, don't bother, as you would be totally mistaken

I have only the one admin account and do let my trusted friends (I have only trusted friends) use my Mac.
I do have my backups, so if anything were accidently altered, it would be no biggy at all, and I have nothing so sensitive that if discovered by prying eyes, or modified, would be the end of my world.
As I say, I have my backups, as well as extra backups of my musical recordings, but it does seem silly to me that if I were to want just one file or folder protected that I would have to set up a new account, use an encrypted disk image, or a third party app to create an encrypted folder!
Also, "yes, I will send Apple another suggestion" LOL
QUOTE Thanks
musicmad

Quote:
It would be a nice feature for OS X to have though, considering it is such a simple feature! "Password to open this file"
Quote:
But it does seem silly to me that if I were to want just one file or folder protected that I would have to set up a new account, use an encrypted disk image, or a third party app to create an encrypted folder!

I agree 6string.
QUOTE Thanks
Chud

Chud will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm

For the ladies out there who want to hide personal flies from us guys, just label the folder "Instruction Manuals" and we'll stay far away from it.

Unfortunately for us guys, I don't think there's an equally effective solution...
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud View Post
for the ladies out there who want to hide personal flies from us guys, just label the folder "instruction manuals" and we'll stay far away from it. ;d

unfortunately for us guys, i don't think there's an equally effective solution...
lol
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud View Post
For the ladies out there who want to hide personal flies from us guys, just label the folder "Instruction Manuals" and we'll stay far away from it.

Unfortunately for us guys, I don't think there's an equally effective solution...
Oh really ? How about :

" Fantasy *your choice of sport here* League Stats "

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Hazoss

Hazoss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
Take a step back man ....

Maybe you should start by explaining what it is that you are trying to achieve.
Give us a description of your ' problem space ' instead of immediately jumping into the ' solution space '.
Confidentiality of data / information can be achieved in a number of ways, and each of them has pro's and con's.

What are the threats that you are concerned about ?

Cheers ... McBie
Thanks McBie - hope you can help - just moved to Mac.
Got an iMac 3 weeks ago and am in discovery mode. I need to take it back to iStore to sort out a problem (Mac wont update) and while there they can also install new OS Lion.
On purchase the iStore helped move all Window Files and Outlook to iMac - all ok.
How would I go about giving the technician access to iMac to perform the above tasks without having access to items like iTunes/MacMail/DocumentFolders etc.
I understand that to change OS to Lion he needs access -
If the above can be done while I wait - I may not be so concerned - however, if I have to leave the Mac overnight then I would like to have the areas of concern well protected.
Can you suggest or recommend an easy to use and effective solution?
Much appreciated, TIA
Haz
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Success stories for updating ram 1gb, 2gb in ibook g4? | mini display port to mini dvi adapter »