Specs:
    MacBook
    Arrow MacBook Logic Board - Now What?
    Current Status:
    I have a 3 1/2 year old MacBook that will not start or shuts down before making it to the login screen. After trying all the usual tricks I broke down and took into a shop. The diagnosis was LOGIC BOARD and a replacement would cost me $506.
    *Note: I have upgraded to OS, hard drive to 120GB, and doubled the RAM since original purchase.

History:
    It was having similar problems 6 months ago, but just randomly starting working again, but this time it looks likes it's really not going to.

When this same MacBook was under a year old it's logic board died and needed to be replaced. Luckily that was under warranty so it was free for me.

Now that I don't have a warranty I'm debating what to do and have some questions.

Questions:
    1) How common is this for a machine to go through two logic boards in under 4 years? I love, love Apple, but with my student budget I can't afford that kind of problem . . .

2) Should I try anything else try anything else to fix this or is it really now just a decision between replacing it and getting a new computer?

3) Is it worth it to fix or should I get a new laptop? (Or if I should just get a new machine - refurbished?)

4) Is there anything a user can do to keep their logic board "healthy"?

I would really appreciate an answer to one or all of these questions. I've been trying to do a lot of research and thought I'd post all my questions in one spot here to help supplement it and get opinions.

Thanks in advance!
    ive.got.soul

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    At that age IMO a new one would make more sense or at least a new refurb you would gain speed and hard drive capacity not to mention the best track pad to date and a lot
    of other hardware upgrades that have been made in that time frame.

Specs:
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    i'll second that

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by ive.got.soul View Post

Questions:
    1) How common is this for a machine to go through two logic boards in under 4 years? I love, love Apple, but with my student budget I can't afford that kind of problem . . .
    Incredibly uncommon. So much so that I have to wonder what external influences were exerted upon it. Was it used in areas of high humidity or exposed to extremes in temperature or to liquid?

2) Should I try anything else try anything else to fix this or is it really now just a decision between replacing it and getting a new computer?
    I would suggest the latter. You should be able to recoup a fair bit just selling it for parts.

3) Is it worth it to fix or should I get a new laptop? (Or if I should just get a new machine - refurbished?)
    There's been some significant improvements in the last 3.5 years. I think the money would be better spent on a new machine. Don't throw good money after bad.

4) Is there anything a user can do to keep their logic board "healthy"?
    Solid state electronics are typically very robust. I'm always surprised to hear of a failing logic board unless it was exposed to the extremes I mentioned previously.

I would really appreciate an answer to one or all of these questions. I've been trying to do a lot of research and thought I'd post all my questions in one spot here to help supplement it and get opinions.

Thanks in advance!
    Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    MacBook
    Thanks, everyone so far. I'm really appreciating the input.

cwa 107 -
    "Incredibly uncommon. So much so that I have to wonder what external influences were exerted upon it. Was it used in areas of high humidity or exposed to extremes in temperature or to liquid?"

I find this interesting. . . I can't remember any definite extremes in temperature that it may have been exposed to, but perhaps I need to be more careful about that because I'm positive it hasn't had any contact with liquid.

I'm also with you about the not putting more money towards the bad. After 2 logic boards and no more Apple Care I'm leaning towards selling it for parts and putting it towards a new machine with Apple Care.

Still debating though.
    ive.got.soul

Thread Information