New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

logic boards failing: is it me?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

traded

traded will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro C2D 2.16

Hey guys,
So im a little frustrated. I was just told by the genius bar dude that my 6month old unibody 2.66 15in mbp needs a new logic board. This is my Third Macbook Pro in a row that needs a new logic board. These go back to 2005-2006. Whats the deal? Is it me? I use my machines for work where I do neuroimaging analyses. These tend to be very CPU intensive but not so much GPU.
So the question is, is it possible that something about my behavior/style/tendency is breaking these logic boards or is it just bad luck?
d
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Very bad luck I'd say. That's crazy.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Your diagnosis may be spot on with that extreme CPU usage. Remember laptops and to some extent iMacs are glossy convenience machines with optical and hard drives etc all scaled down to fit a laptop. Your best solution may be a Mac Pro if portability is not vitally important.

Perhaps an exterior drive in a hard box may be the go if you take your work home?

MODS please note the server has slowed down to a crawl again.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Your diagnosis may be spot on with that extreme CPU usage. Remember laptops and to some extent iMacs are glossy convenience machines with optical and hard drives etc all scaled down to fit a laptop. Your best solution may be a Mac Pro if portability is not vitally important.

Perhaps an exterior drive in a hard box may be the go if you take your work home?.

I agree completely

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Curious did they mention what part on the board went bad?
QUOTE Thanks
techound1

Location: Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come visit me --->
techound1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
Curious did they mention what part on the board went bad?
I would be pleasantly surprised if they did. The logic board is usually the last branch on the troubleshooting tree and that's all the further they think about it.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by techound1 View Post
I would be pleasantly surprised if they did. The logic board is usually the last branch on the troubleshooting tree and that's all the further they think about it.
I guess each store may be different but my old 2006 MBP had a bad logic board and I asked what part and was told bad vram which is not user replaceable the whole board gets replaced and it just was not cost effective
bought a new MBP and so far it has been better all around which I knew it
would be especially the new trackpad.
QUOTE Thanks
Chud

Chud will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm

Do other tech's who do the same kinds of analyses as you do have problems with their laptops? Unless you are freelance or contract, why use your own equipment at all? At least you can write it off as a business expense (hopefully...).

Your post reminded me of a friend of mine who cannot wear battery powered watches because his own electro-chemistry kills the batteries and makes the watches go haywire. Perhaps you have an overly magnetic personality...lol!
QUOTE Thanks
traded

traded will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro C2D 2.16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud View Post
Do other tech's who do the same kinds of analyses as you do have problems with their laptops? Unless you are freelance or contract, why use your own equipment at all? At least you can write it off as a business expense (hopefully...).

Your post reminded me of a friend of mine who cannot wear battery powered watches because his own electro-chemistry kills the batteries and makes the watches go haywire. Perhaps you have an overly magnetic personality...lol!
-well, now that you mention it, we do tend to go through a lot of machines. usually though, its hard drives that fail not logic boards as in my case. Applecare is NEVER a question around here.

-While I'm not paying for the machines myself (my grants are - meaning we all are with taxes), they are very much MY machines.

-I do take my laptops into the MRI control room which is just outside the MRI room. While I highly doubt this is the culprit, maybe It's not my magnetism but that of the Magnetic Resonance Imager? I doubt this is the problem as the control room houses at least 6 computers that I can think of and aside from monitors going bad, they don't seem to have catastrophic failures.

-To answer another persons question, no they certainly did not get into too much detail about what the faulty component on the logic board was. I doubt I would believe them anyway as this would take a lot more analysis than what those dudes at the genius bar did.

D
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

The MRI control room is shielded, so I can't see that being the culprit, although it is certainly possible... It really does seem like a run of bad luck either way, but as long as you keep up with the Applecare, it's all good.
As advised earlier though, if portability isn't an issue, the Mac Pro could be a good option for the heavier work, and your laptop for the light usage stuff!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Traded:

Can I just ask you if perhaps your alias is the alter-ego of your superhero identity, Static Lad?

But seriously, and this is the first time I have **EVER** suggested this, but as you're continuously running CPU-intensive software you might want to install and run SMC Fan Control to give yourself an extra measure of cooling.

Also, is it possible that you're working in extraordinarily dry conditions that promote static?

Finally, I wouldn't rule out the nearby MRI as a potential cause. Even though the room is shielded, you have the effect of a MASSIVE air ioniser there, and I was always told that air ionisers in close range to a Mac are a bad idea ... maybe this is why! (Just speculating here, I have to say, but hey ...)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mca running very very slow | Slow bootcamp boot to windows 7 after Optidrive removal »