Would the upgrade be worth it?
    Hey, I have a 13" MBP 2.26 GHZ. I'm looking at upgrading the RAM from 2gb upto 4gb and getting an SSD. But I was wondering how much of an improvement in performance can I expect? I mostly use my MBP for surfing the net, downloading, watching films, sorting out photos and general college work.

Any replies would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    IMHO (given your computing activities)...I don't see much of a performance improvement with those upgrades.

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Late 2008 MBP
    The memory isn't going to do much for you... you aren't doing anything that requires much memory unless you like to open all those things at the same time and have them all running at the same time...

The SSD will get you a little extend your run time on battery a little... but not much and might decrease the start up time a little... but that's it. Frankly a SSD doesn't make much sense unless you have a real need for it... and don't forget that it will cut down on the amount of storage space you have unless you want to spend excessive amounts of money. SSDs are very expensive... just to get up to 160GB of space will cost you about $500... when you get up to the 250GB size you are talking about spend as much as a new Macbook.

I can see your point of view. I may put off getting the SSD until the price goes down and until you can get bigger sizes. But I'm definitely going for the RAM upgrade. Can you guys see the price for SSD's going down anytime in the near future?

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky.patel89 View Post
    Can you guys see the price for SSD's going down anytime in the near future?
    It's a fact that ever since the first computers were introduced, the price of just about every computer hardware item will come down in price. The BIG question is when!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
    A 2 to 4 GB memory upgrade would be totally worth it, especially because it's relatively inexpensive and easy. I went from a second gen Macbook that I had upgraded to 3GB (most it could take) and was nice and speedy because of that to the latest Macbook Pro with 2GB. Even though it was a faster processor with the 2GB it was noticeably slower than my 'old' Macbook. I put in a 4GB upgrade in it (which I was planning on from the get-go) of $50 RAM and it brought it back to my expected speedy Mac.

Then again, I do a little more than just email, web browsing etc. I run Photosho, do video editing/conversion, and music editing/encoding. I also keep lots of browsers up and don't quit my apps until Software Update requires a restart, so YMMV.

Thread Information