New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Buying 1st MacBook Pro....But now or wait for possible upgrade?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LOTRsolidsnake

LOTRsolidsnake is on a distinguished road

So I have decided that its time to buy myself a laptop. After much research I have came to the conclusion to buy the MBP 15". My only concern is with Apple and their constant upgrading of their products.

As the title says, should I buy now or wait to see if they introduce a new MBP with the i5/i7 chip?

Thanks in advance!
- Hopefully, a Mac converter

Wow, sorry, BUY*** now
QUOTE Thanks
Andy007

Andy007 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Unibody Macbook (end 2009)

It really depends on what you are going to be using it for?

It was rumored there would be a refresh yesterday, so seeing as that didnt happen, it really could be anytime soon.....then again you could be waiting another 2 or 3 months.

If you need now, buy now, you wont regret it whatever you choose
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

I agree with Andy007. If you need a computer right now then go ahead and get it, but if you're just wanting a new computer you could wait a bit more to see if they release anything. I have the current MBP and it's been 7 months since I got it and this model was out a little while before I got it so it is possible they could be releasing a new version. I couldn't possibly guess what they would add to it though, I love this thing to death and don't see it missing any uses. Good luck.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Remember to use the Reputation System!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I was initially going to wait but in December decided to go ahead and I must say i have been enjoying my MBP every day for months now ,it is faster,cooler running and the new
trackpad was all worth it. Can't blame anyone for wanting the newer processors but look
at it like this there will always be improvements around the corner. I would have loved to had SSD in mine but could not justify the cost a year or so later they may become mainstream.
QUOTE Thanks
jedijeck

jedijeck is on a distinguished road

I also am looking to get a MBP, but a 13inch. I went to the Apple iStore today to inquire about them and the sales guy told me that they're out of stock and hadn't received any of the higher specced 13's in awhile. Although, he didn't say outright that there will be a new refresh model coming out soon he advised me to wait for a few weeks and come back to see him when/if they do. (This he said on the quiet as his boss left the shop). So if you can wait then do so.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

As others have mentioned, it depends on if you need your computer now or if you can wait. The new ones have been rumored to be released soon but people have been saying that for awhile now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOTRsolidsnake View Post
My only concern is with Apple and their constant upgrading of their products.
Don't know how you got that impression. Electronic devices in general are upgraded pretty often as new technology comes out. Actually Apple is behind other computer companies with the latest laptop CPU technology since they are already in use.
QUOTE Thanks
Caniac4ever

Caniac4ever is on a distinguished road

Ok, another newbie here...

I'm planning on buying a MacBook Pro. My old Dell laptop is just about dead and I want to get something that will last. However, I'm not in a huge rush. Likely when the new i3/i5/i7 comes out, they will likely be more expensive.

Is it a good idea to:

A) wait and buy the new i series.

B) wait and hope the old ones go on sale.

C) buy now because we're all clueless what the future holds.

Since I'm in school I would get the Education price. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Sorry, but the answer is not going to change from that provided by the five posts right above yours from a week ago.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOTRsolidsnake View Post
buy now or wait to see if they introduce a new MBP with the i5/i7 chip?

Anytime is a good time to buy a Mac.If you buy a MB or MBP today it will give you several years of good use.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I've seen no evidence that suggests that new MacBook Pros, when they finally do come out, will be any more expensive than current prices.
QUOTE Thanks
theoak

theoak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I've seen no evidence that suggests that new MacBook Pros, when they finally do come out, will be any more expensive than current prices.
In fact, my white MacBook cost me $1199.00 2 1/2 years ago, and now you can get a MacBook Pro for that! Not the highest spec MBP, but even the lowest spec MBP has more RAM, a faster processor, a dedicated GPU, and larger hard drive than my white MacBook. I'm not complaining, mind you, as my MacBook has been, and still is as responsive as the day I bought it.

2007 13" white Macbook, 2 Ghz Core2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, Snow Leopard w/ 250 GB Samsung 840 SSD
32 GB WIFI iPad Mini
Panasonic CF-30, 4 GB RAM, Win7/Ubuntu12.04LTS, 180GB Intel SSD
QUOTE Thanks
Caniac4ever

Caniac4ever is on a distinguished road

Another quick question...

I'm planning on getting the 13 inch MacBook Pro. I'm planning on getting 4 GB of memory and 320 GB hard drive. The Apple store has 2 different 13 inch ones. Is it smarter to get the 2nd one that already comes with the 4 GB of memory or the first one and make the changes? If I modify the first one I can save $165 bucks or so. Is there another reason I should choose the 2nd one?

Thanks for any advice!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PowerBook Battery conditioner | Macbook pro will not power on at all »