New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

should i replace the bottom of my mbp?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wezman2k

wezman2k is an unknown at this point

If i bought a new lower bottom case and brought it to apple (given the laptop is still covered under warranty) would they replace it for free do you think?

had an accident with it. would you replace it or live with it?

http://i44.tinypic.com/2ho90r9.jpg

there she be.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

The warranty won't cover that.
If you can live with, do so, as the replacement of the lower case is a major job.... It has to be gutted, but it wouldn't hurt to enquire as to what it would cost you if you provided the lower case, or if they provided the lower case!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Warranty does not cover abuse, which this clearly is, so no.

As 6string mentioned, this is a big job and will cost you a good deal of money whether you buy the lower case and have it done or they do the whole thing.
QUOTE Thanks
wezman2k

it wasn't ABUSE it was an accident!!!! this happened just a few weeks ago and i got it back in 07. until then it was brand spankin new.

lol yah it should be fine as is...i've seen a lot worse before. the port still works at least, it should be alright
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezman2k View Post
If i bought a new lower bottom case and brought it to apple (given the laptop is still covered under warranty) would they replace it for free do you think?
Quote:
it wasn't ABUSE it was an accident!!!! this happened just a few weeks ago and i got it back in 07. until then it was brand spankin new.
I doubt it. Cosmetic or accidental damage is not covered under the Apple warranty.

And if this cosmetic damage was covered...then there would be no need for you to purchase a new bottom case...since it would be part of the warranty.

But the bottom line is...this situation is not covered...so your best bet (since you already have the new bottom case) is to figure out how to install it yourself...or find a knowledgeable person to do the install for a reasonable price.

Also...if you bought this computer in 2007...it wasn't "brand spankin new" up until a few weeks ago! A few weeks ago it was still a 2.5+ year old computer...so it couldn't be "brand spankin new"...it just looked "brand spankin new"!

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
wezman2k

lol ok nick now we're getting into technicalities. the thing looked like it hadn't been used (despite constant usage).

i don't actually already have a new lower case. it's just such a bummer, i guess i should just be thankful the usb port still even works. depending on what's plugged in it can be a little tougher to pull out but i guess i'll have to deal.
guess it's not really practical to replace the entire thing just for that.
QUOTE Thanks
Miller_

Miller_ is on a distinguished road

I'm in a similar situation, I dropped my black macbook on concrete and badly scratched top and bottom case. I bought them both from ebay and planning to replace soon.

This is the link for the bottom case diy, surely I can't be that difficult.

Installing MacBook Core 2 Duo Lower Case - iFixit
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

@ the OP Can i enquire as to what REALLY happened to it to get it like that. For me to look at it, it looks as if your cord seriously overheated and caught fire ... Just out of curiosity, and for future reference
Thanking muchly

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller_ View Post
I'm in a similar situation, I dropped my black macbook on concrete and badly scratched top and bottom case. I bought them both from ebay and planning to replace soon.

This is the link for the bottom case diy, surely I can't be that difficult.

Installing MacBook Core 2 Duo Lower Case - iFixit
LOL.... easy as pie!!!

Good luck getting it all back together
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
it wasn't ABUSE it was an accident!!!!
I apologise for upsetting you. I am a former Mac tech and use "mac tech talk" sometimes. "Abuse" means anything that the user did to a machine that caused a problem, including accidents (and even if the accident wasn't the owner's fault, the owner still has responsibility for it, thus the term).

I didn't mean to imply that you did it deliberately. Used in this context, "abuse" is a warranty term, not a judgement term.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« XpostFacto big problem | Secondlife on Macbook »