New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Service Battery?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

whitehorse84

whitehorse84 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro

This is new to me.. just now saw it.

I had my 2.33/2.5gb ram/120gb HD macbook pro plugged in at work all day today and now while I'm sitting at coffee bean running off of the battery I notice a little "exclamation" next to it... '

"service battery"

This battery itself only has about 35 load cycles on it..

I ran coconut battery and it says the maximum charge my battery can hold is around 4200, down from 5400..

what's happening here?

Do I need to do a reset of some kind somewhere? faulty battery?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

As the meaning of service the battery, i think its time to calibrate it.
Have a look at this page from  and they will run you through a battery calibration.

Battery Calibration

Hope this helps some

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
whitehorse84

I noticed this in a google search.. anyone else having this problem after installing snow leopard?

Apple - Support - Discussions - MacBook Pro Battery 'Service Battery' ...

it's kind of interesting..
QUOTE Thanks
whitehorse84

I also noticed too that after my laptop sat charging at work. When I packed it up the charger (the charging block ) was warm as well. I don't remember this ever happening.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Try SMC reset Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC), and also if you haven't updated to 10.6.2 yet (which from the thread you posted I assume you are on SL), download this.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehorse84 View Post
I also noticed too that after my laptop sat charging at work. When I packed it up the charger (the charging block ) was warm as well. I don't remember this ever happening.
Dont think that should be a problem. Im hooked into the wall 24/7 and mine is warm to touch. My battery life is also in very good condition. Just put your efforts into working out the battery problem

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

+1 to that
QUOTE Thanks
whitehorse84

I did an SMC reset (removed battery, held down power button for 5 seconds, replaced battery and plugged in the charger)

upon boot up I still have " service battery" as well as the fact that my batter has dropped from 5000mah to 3800mah in 3 hours (total capacity) and typically I'd have about 2 hours of battery life left at 80% and now it says I only have 42 minutes worth of juice.

I may just leave it plugged in to the wall all night (the computer shut off) and see what happens. It is "charging" according to coconut which I guess is a good sign.

Could this just be a Snow Leopard glitch? per the forum I linked you guys up to above.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Well, I'd try calibrating your battery as per the link above by tattoedmac.

Secondly, I'd install the update I suggested, as if this is a software related issue, that will rectify it.
QUOTE Thanks
whitehorse84

thanks 6string. I am currently running 1.6.2 so the software update I'm guessing won't do me much good. I'll try the calibration tomorrow while I'm at work and report back.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

The combo update is structured differently, as well as picking up on any firmware updates that may have been missed, or not installed properly!
Combo updates should be installed over the top of stand alone updates when they come out, as they seem to fix minor glitches a lot of the time.
This was the case also in leopard, tiger, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Just found this!
Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Battery conditions
QUOTE Thanks
6string

And looking at your specs...
2.33/2.5gb ram/120gb HD macbook pro
2.33 GHz 2.5GB Ram 120GB HD MBP
2.5Gig of ram?
QUOTE Thanks
whitehorse84

six string, I'll try and do the combo update right now.

Yeah, it's running a 2gb chip and a 512mb chip.. I'm going to put another 2gb chip in here (even though i'll only get 3gb worth).
QUOTE Thanks
whitehorse84

installed the combo update, no luck there.. I'll try the battery calibration thing. 6string, check out that link i posted above..

it seems like a LOT of people on snow leopard are having this problem.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....art=0&start=15
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New To Mac's Need Help!!!! | Hitachi 500GB SATA - MacBookPro »