New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Processor upgrade?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

u2shelley

Hi just wondering if it is possible to have my 12" upgraded to the new 1GHz G4 processor?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2shelley
Hi just wondering if it is possible to have my 12" upgraded to the new 1GHz G4 processor?
I dont think it is possible but i could be wrong. I am pretty sure that they are slightly different boards and I dont think they even have upgrade cpus for the powerbooks
QUOTE Thanks
Emrys

Emrys is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM

I would have to say no. I have never seen a laptop that had an upgradable CPU , ever. But I am of course open to new technology

Emrys
Community Administrator / Moderator
MAC-FORUMS.COM - The Ultimate Source For Your Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
domyates

would it be possible to update a PBG4 to a G5 if it ever came out ?
QUOTE Thanks
hokiethang

Quote:
Originally Posted by domyates
would it be possible to update a PBG4 to a G5 if it ever came out ?
No, the G5 will require an entirely different architecture than is currently available in a G4. Also the cooling needed to run a G5 in a notebook will have to be very customized to the notebook, and the G4 notebooks have no space for these customizations. As for processor upgrades, the current powerbooks do not support them as the chips are attached to the board, not socketed like PC chips. Also G4 chips in the powerbook are specialized to the machine and layout and have different components on the motherboard.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

can i put a usb 2.0 card in this powerbook 12"?
DVI?
1 GHz Processor
then ill have an old new powerbook
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« please help ? | ibook vs. power book:: »