New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Mac Hard Drive File Read Error

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

charta

charta is on a distinguished road

Hey all! I'm currently trying to setup bootcamp for my mac and the first thing I need do is partition the hard drive. However, when I go to do this it doesn't allow me to "repair disk" because the verified disk has an error. This is the error report that comes up:

Verifying volume “Hard Disk”

Performing live verification.
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Invalid volume file count
(It should be 670295 instead of 670296)
Invalid volume directory count
(It should be 184135 instead of 184134)
The volume Hard Disk needs to be repaired.

Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

Any idea on how to fix this? I reallllly want to use windows! Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

How big is the Hard Drive and how much free space do you have?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

To charta:

You can't repair the hard drive while it's mounted.

In order to repair the volume, reboot the machine using your install DVD. Cancel out the install routine and select "Utilities" "Disk Utilities" from the top menu. Then select the "First Aid" tab. Run "Verify" and "Repair". Keep running it until all errors are cleared.

Reboot back to OS X and run the Boot Camp assistant again.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
charta

charta is on a distinguished road

I have a 160 GB HD and i have 143 GB free space.

And thank you chscag, I will try what you posted and let you know how it works out for me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powerbook 12" Hangs on Grey Screen, No Spinning Pinwheel | DVD ripping software? »