New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Ibook question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kiko323

kiko323 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have an IBook, it's very old.. the os is: mac os 9.1
- please, tell me your opinion, what should I do with it? (is there any chance updating it to mac os x, or suggest me something else)...
EDIT: the iBook is the so called "clamshell"
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / MacBook C2D 2.13GHz / iMac G5 iSight 1.9GHz / iMac G5 1.6 GHz / Pismo G4

Hi, the 300mhz clamshells (with no firewire port) can go up to Mac OS 10.3 Panther, and the 366 and 466mhz ones (firewire) will in addition allow 10.4 Tiger to be installed.

You will need retail discs (not the grey machine specific ones) and most likely in CD format as not all clamshells come with a DVD drive.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

In OS 9.1 click on the Apple in the top left corner and see if you can locate System Profiler. If so click on that and give us the specs like CPU Speed, RAM and whatever else you can find.

What Hugtheslug said though is right on.
QUOTE Thanks
kiko323

it's a clamshell graphite, with a processor of 466mhz, but only 64 mb of ram
- so it has the firewire port, and it has a DVD
- I think that, before upgrading the OS, I'll need to buy some more ram, am I right? (usually I'm not so lost with windows/linux machines, but this is all new stuff for me )
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / MacBook C2D 2.13GHz / iMac G5 iSight 1.9GHz / iMac G5 1.6 GHz / Pismo G4

My own clamshell is the 366 version and it runs Tiger OK but a little slowly. I might have done better using 10.3 Panther as it takes far less resources to run.
Also Panther is a whole lot cheaper to buy.
I added a 512mb PC 133 SODIMM which is the maximum it will take.
If buying through eBay you will need to spend that little bit more and get RAM that specifically mentions Apple Mac compatible as some modules won't work.

Cheers

Hugh

QUOTE Thanks
kiko323

thank you for the answer, I'll buy th 512 ram, and after that I'm going to install the mac os x... I can't wait thx again
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

No problem, good luck and enjoy it !!

Cheers

Hugh

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You certainly have the best of that class of iBook. Enjoy!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Lease of Life | Battery for 2005 MBP »