New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Not sure where to ask about malware, trojans and worms ...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vita64

vita64 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, OS 10.8.4

Twice now I've gotten messages that the site I'm on might have malware. Both times were major news sites, i.e. sites that shouldn't be risky. Other sites I've visited perhaps weren't that safe, but no messages there. As I was having no problems, I wasn't inclined to worry. Generally, the Mac community isn't plagued by such things ... but I know we're not invulnerable.

Yesterday I got a message saying that I needed to upgrade my iPhoto library. When I did so, it became inaccessible to iPhoto and I now have to manually rebuild it. So I wondered if maybe I did pick up some malware somewhere. Or maybe it's just coincidence.

I don't even know whether I have any software which could scan for malware or whether there's anything going around currently that the Mac community is aware of.

Any words of advice?
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

This is a great place to find out all the info you want. To get the most from this thread you really should read thru the whole thing .

The Official Mac AntiVirus and Firewall FAQ

Hope it helps
Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vita64 View Post
Twice now I've gotten messages that the site I'm on might have malware. Both times were major news sites, i.e. sites that shouldn't be risky. Other sites I've visited perhaps weren't that safe, but no messages there.
That last sentence may be the cause of your problems. Care to divulge what types of sites you've been visiting (without posting links)? It's possible that past indiscretions are the cause of some of your problems.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
vita64

vita64 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, OS 10.8.4

I just installed iAntivirus and am running its lengthier scan. It's almost done; nothing detected yet.

There's a chat site that I visit regularly. Participants frequently post links; usually to YouTube videos or pictures. People also post links on Facebook; usually to similar stuff.

Thanks clayneal and vansmith. Off to read The Official Mac AntiVirus and Firewall FAQ.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« typing repeated! big problem! | Permission on External Hardisk Drive »