New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook hard drive question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ElkDung

ElkDung is on a distinguished road

Is there an easy way to see where most of my memory space is being used on my macbook?
I'm trying to manage my files onto an external hard drive. I've got movie files etc.. would like to see where most of the memory is being used to free up the hard drive space...
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Disk Inventory X
QUOTE Thanks
ElkDung

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
surely this is a joke? the link provided is an advertisement?
I'm just looking for some advice on a mac system. Is this the norm for this Blog?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

It's also a link for a free application that many Mac users use for what you are asking....
So, no it's not a joke, and it's a pleasure!
QUOTE Thanks
ElkDung

Quote:
It's also a link for a free application that many Mac users use for what you are asking....
So, no it's not a joke, and it's a pleasure!
then there must be something to this... I'm on my macbook and your link took me to another advertisement. Kinda strange.
I'm just looking for a way to view/navigate files that are taking up the most space on my hard drive. I've removed the files that I see but that wasn't enough. So -without advertisements... can someone type a fix?
QUOTE Thanks
smithk2719

smithk2719 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" MacBook Pro 8GB Ram, 500GB HD, Have been an Apple guy since 2002, and will NEVER GO BACK =)

works fine for me.

Disk Inventory X
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkDung View Post
then there must be something to this... I'm on my macbook and your link took me to another advertisement. Kinda strange.
I'm just looking for a way to view/navigate files that are taking up the most space on my hard drive. I've removed the files that I see but that wasn't enough. So -without advertisements... can someone type a fix?
Can you post a screenshot (shift+command+3) of the page that you are getting when you go to that link?
QUOTE Thanks
ElkDung

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithk2719 View Post
works fine for me.

Disk Inventory X
I appreciate the link.. looks like it's the answer to what I'm looking for, but there are so many other links to click... I'm not foreign to navigating the internet. but is there ONE link for this cure?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Disk Inventory X - Downloads and click on the blue Disk Inventory X 1.0 at the top of the page.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You could also try the free Grand Perspective (no ads, promise!).
QUOTE Thanks
ElkDung

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
You could also try the free Grand Perspective (no ads, promise!).
Cool, this one worked for me. Thanks!
The graphic squares are nice. I guess I'm looking for something that would appear like the "explore" on the PC side. Being able to sort the files by size and file name and drag and drop into an ext hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

Finder can do that easily....
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Yeah, I'm a little unclear as to what you're looking for. Finder can sort by size and file name. Simply click "Size" or "Name" in Finder to sort by either file size or file name.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
6string

I just had a horrible thought that the OP might start deleting things in the system folder and Library folder willie nilly.
So Elkung, don't touch anything in the system folder, and anything that you choose to delete, be sure that you know what it is and what it does before you do.
The items that are going to take up significant space on your HD that are safe to remove are going to be movies, music, and perhaps pictures if you have tens of thousands of them.
QUOTE Thanks
ElkDung

Quote:
I just had a horrible thought that the OP might start deleting things in the system folder and Library folder willie nilly.
So Elkung, don't touch anything in the system folder, and anything that you choose to delete, be sure that you know what it is and what it does before you do.
The items that are going to take up significant space on your HD that are safe to remove are going to be movies, music, and perhaps pictures if you have tens of thousands of them.
yeah... thats why I wanted to view the files like a pc would. The graphs are all ok, nice squares and all... just would like to have a grasp on what the files are actually names. I have not deleted anything yet. I've already removed my Imovie files onto my ext hard drive. As well as the photographs and songs...
Thanks for your concern!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Did the macbook air get a price drop? | No audio output Macbook Pro »