New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

2.66 or 2.8? which macbook pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

whitehorse84

whitehorse84 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro

Ok, so I'm going to be picking up one of the unibody 15" macbook pros and really am having a tough time deciding.

I'm going to be using it mainly for my job as a loader, which is transferring HD digital shots to external hard drives, but I will be moving around large files as well as photoshop editing and various digital artwork (not too much RAW images though from digital cameras).

I've narrowed it down to the 15" 2.66 and the 15" 2.8ghz models. I'm using my student discount which knocks off $100-200 bucks so it pretty much negates the sales tax (9.75% here in California)

Both are using 4gb memory, but I'd like to upgrade the 2.66 to a 500gb 7200RPM internal drive (I think it's an additional $200 or so) but my only worries then are processor speed and the video card.

The 2.8ghz has a bit larger memory video card and a faster processor but that is it..

am I going to notice a huge difference in what I'm using the laptop for? I feel as if I wait for the quad core's to be released I can probably get a current model macbook pro for a bit cheaper, or not?

Anyway.. which would you guys go with?
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

If you put the 2.66 & 2.8 side by side, I doubt you'd be able to tell which was which. Go withe the 2.66 and use the savings toward the purchase of a 7200 RPM drive, which will have a noticeable difference.

Also, buy the drive yourself and swap it out with the original. You'll save quite a bit. I bought a new Hitachi 500GB 7200 RPM drive last month at CompUSA for $75. Installed it, and then sold my old used 160GB on ebay for $40.

Otherwise you'll give Apple $200 for something that can be done yourself for a net cost of under $40.
QUOTE Thanks
foxj66

foxj66 is on a distinguished road

Well i cant recommend you get one or the other, but i will say you should put a 500gb 7200 rpm drive in yourself. That will save you around 100 dollars, then you can get an enclosure and use the old drive as an external.

2.26 GHz White Unibody,160GB Intel X-25m, 8GB Ram, Mac mini 2.26GHz, 500GB 7200 RPM Hitachi drive, 4GB Ram
QUOTE Thanks
foxj66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
If you put the 2.66 & 2.8 side by side, I doubt you'd be able to tell which was which. Go withe the 2.66 and use the savings toward the purchase of a 7200 RPM drive, which will have a noticeable difference.

Also, buy the drive yourself and swap it out with the original. You'll save quite a bit. I bought a new Hitachi 500GB 7200 RPM drive last month at CompUSA for $75. Installed it, and then sold my old used 160GB on ebay for $40.

Otherwise you'll give Apple $200 for something that can be done yourself for a net cost of under $40.
You beat me too it!

2.26 GHz White Unibody,160GB Intel X-25m, 8GB Ram, Mac mini 2.26GHz, 500GB 7200 RPM Hitachi drive, 4GB Ram
QUOTE Thanks
whitehorse84

thanks guys!

My only concern is the minute I break that computer open, doesn't that void the warranty?

I would much rather put that money towards applecare rather than paying $140 for a bigger HD.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxj66 View Post
Well i cant recommend you get one or the other, but i will say you should put a 500gb 7200 rpm drive in yourself. That will save you around 100 dollars, then you can get an enclosure and use the old drive as an external.
And if you buy the drive prior to getting the MBP, you won't even need an enclosure to clone the old drive. Install the new drive as soon as you get the Mac and just let the OS install itself off the discs that come in the box.
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

nope doesn't void the warranty. i have an aftermarket hdd in my system and when i talked to apple about it they said they would honor the full warranty but if i send the computer in and the hdd was bad they would only replace the drive with a stock 5400 drive not a 7200 drive.. that being said i would agree with these other guys just get a 7200rpm drive and forget about the 2.66 or 2.8 you wont notice a difference with either one..

60% of the time it works every time.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

And I would go with the Hitachi 7K500 2.5" SATA 7200rpm HD that Jaygray mentioned.... it's a great drive.
I'm sure Jaygray will confirm that it is superfast, quiet and has no vibration
QUOTE Thanks
whitehorse84

Newegg.com - HITACHI Travelstar 7K500 HD20500 IDK/7K 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Retail

that one there?
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

That's the one. If you have a CompUSA nearby, it's currently $89 in store.

CompUSA.com | 0S00157 | Hitachi 0S00157 Travelstar Laptop Hard Drive
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

That's the one
And you can get external enclosures from newegg.com or Other World Computing (OWC) for around $20.
Tool Kit from OWC $4.50
QUOTE Thanks
whitehorse84

thanks!

now if i wanted to put it in an enclosure(which would you recommend?) and then cloned my current drive (leopard 10.6.2 with all my apps and music and pictures) onto it and THEN installed the 500gb drive on my new macbook pro (and put the older drive in the enclosure) would booting it up be identical to my current macbook pro?

as far as my mail setup (inbox?), applications, os x settings, music and pictures?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Any 2.5" SATA USB 2.0/Firewire 800 enclosure will be fine.
And the answer is YES
Identical with all mail, apps, settings, etc
QUOTE Thanks
foxj66

Yes it should be the same as long as you make sure to make a bootable clone.

QUOTE Thanks
6string

Use CCC or SuperDuper to make your clone.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ps3 on mac pro??? | macbook or macbook pro »