New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook fan noise

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tomavery

tomavery is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83 GHz 2GB RAM Mac OS 10.6.1

I know this is an old issue, but my macbook fans are always at maximum! I downloaded fan control, but the fan refuses to spin at the speed I tell it to. I have reset the smc on a number of occasions and it works, but only for a little while. What steps can I take?
QUOTE Thanks
claussoegaard

claussoegaard is on a distinguished road

I have actually just an hour ago had a black Macbook disassembled, to fix the fan issue. I used the guide at ifixit.com to loosen the fan. You would be so surprised how much dust there was behind the fan (you can't see it until you unscrew the fan and lift it up and look behind it). It was completely blocked so it couldn't get in air. I removed all the dust and reassembled the computer, and after that it takes A LOT more to make the fan start.

I know it seems like a very aggressive method but it really works! Good luck if you venture that way! :-)

Claus
QUOTE Thanks
tomavery

tomavery is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83 GHz 2GB RAM Mac OS 10.6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by claussoegaard View Post
I have actually just an hour ago had a black Macbook disassembled, to fix the fan issue. I used the guide at ifixit.com to loosen the fan. You would be so surprised how much dust there was behind the fan (you can't see it until you unscrew the fan and lift it up and look behind it). It was completely blocked so it couldn't get in air. I removed all the dust and reassembled the computer, and after that it takes A LOT more to make the fan start.

I know it seems like a very aggressive method but it really works! Good luck if you venture that way! :-)

Claus
Thanks very much! I might have a go if all else fails. My computer is always a little hot, but my real problem is that the fans are running faster than the fan control says they SHOULD based on the core temperature.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using external monitor as main display | Macbook Air and Coolbook »