New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook pro not recognizing external HD used for time machine on an old mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

McLov

McLov is on a distinguished road

Hi

One question. Bought a new Macbook pro and copied the files from my previous mac using the FireWire. After some days I wanted to format my external hard drive which I've used on my old mac for time machine. The problem is that my new mac is not recognizing my external HD. There is not even the HD icon appearing on the desktop.

Can anyone tell me why this might be happening? I've tried the HD on a PC just to see if it works and it does. Is just the MacBook which is not recognizing it.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

So you are saying it's not even showing up in Disk Utilities? Since you have another Mac you can always try formatting in your second Mac and then try to connect it again to your first Mac. If it still doesn't show up then there is some other problem going on.
QUOTE Thanks
empty_noise

empty_noise is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook (Mid-2007, 10.5.8) + MacBook Pro (Late-2008, 10.9) - See Signature

Are all the cables secure? I had this happen to me a while ago, and it turned out the only problem was that the usb cable plugged into the external drive wasn't seated all the way in.

Now, if all the cables are seated property and you can see that the external drive is working (the light on it is on or whatever), and it still doesn't show up even in Disk Utility then you have a really big problem.

MB | Mid-2007 | 13-inch | 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo | 2GB DDR2 | 120GB HDD | GMA 950 | White
MBP | Late-2008 | 15-inch | 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB DDR3 | 250GB HDD | 9400M + 9600M GT w/ 256MB GDDR3 | Unibody
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PC Card Slot-Flash Card Reader | Did Apple ever release a MacBook Pro with this configuration? »