New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Need advice.HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

goretex 4411

goretex 4411 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys.

So i've decided to get a macbook unibody for school

The thing is im gonna self upgrade the stock 250GB HD with a larger HD. Im thinking of a Western Digital 500GB @ 5400RPM. But has anyone tried installing a 640GB or say 1TB HD in the macbook? Would these HD capacities work like any HD on a macbook unibody? Ive never come across anyone talking about it so its best i ask first.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

I believe the largest current laptop hard drives are 640 GB. If you see a 1 TB hard drive then it's probably a desktop hard drive. As long as you have the right size hard drive and as long as it has the right type of connection for your computer then you shouldn't have any problems. Many people have upgraded their hard drives themselves.
QUOTE Thanks
len0475

len0475 is on a distinguished road

I was contemplating purchasing the 640GB HDD but ended up with a WD 500GB 5400 RPM drives instead. The reason is that the 640GB drives didn't have good user reviews. For school I needed reliability and the WD had many great reviews.

I believe the 1TB drives are a different height and may not fit the unibody MacBooks.

The 500GB and 640GB drives should work as long as they are 9.5mm height and can be formatted to work with a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iSight light on occasionally at boot | PC Card Slot-Flash Card Reader »