New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Restarted MBP, Will Now Only Boot With Black Screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shane82388

shane82388 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.2GHz Mac Book Pro (4GB RAM) - 23" HD Cinema Display - New Wireless Keyboard/Mouse - iPhone

When i go to turn it back on it just has a black screen. It does actually do the startup chime. I can tell its working because i can hear the drive spinning and what not. If i stick a disc in it will spin it like normal and then if i press eject it will eject it...It seems like a display issue.

anyone have any suggestions, i really need to figure this out ASAP!

thank you
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

What if you power on - insert install disk - hold C key. Will that allow u to boot off the disk?
QUOTE Thanks
shane82388

Mac Specs: 2.2GHz Mac Book Pro (4GB RAM) - 23" HD Cinema Display - New Wireless Keyboard/Mouse - iPhone

i dont have an OSX disk on me at the moment because im not at home but I'd assume it would work, its just the screen. Everything seems to work except the screen after the restart...
QUOTE Thanks
davieb769

davieb769 is on a distinguished road

try increasing the brightness. sounds real dumb and obvious but thats what happened to me one time
QUOTE Thanks
shane82388

haha...tried that one already...thanks
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

I would plug in your ex monitor and see if its a graphics card or display problem . Then if you get a picture on your ex display go to display pref and click detect displays I have seen a machine " get stuck" between monitors....

Hope it helps
Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
shane82388

Thanks clay, but no go... Plugged it in to my 23" cinema display and nothing just totally black...

Now that I think about it...over the past week or so the screen would occasionally glitch/artifact when I had a lot of tabs open in safari and would open a new one....I dono if that has anything to do with the prob but I'm just racking my brain...
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

I really hope someone comes along to say I am wrong but...Sure sounds like a graphics card failure . Hopefully its still under warranty ? Looks like a trip to the Apple Store in your future. Sorry .

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
shane82388

Nah got it in august of 2007 I believe. I'm scared to find out the price if I have to fix it... def sounds like a graphics failure to me as well but it's weird how it did it exactly on a restart and not just randomly (the moment it failed). Which is why I'm not totally convinced it's a hardware failure.

I heard of people going into comp through other comp and deleting a display file or something causing the error or something...anyone know anything about that? Like the gpu can't be recognized because of it or something?

I had been installing final cut pro before I restarted it...never seemed to finish install after I let it sit foooorever...so I just quit it and it seemed to be installed and running fine actually so I just thought it was a tiny glitch...basically just said it was finishing up install but never said it fully finished...although final cut worked actually. Compressor seemed a bit weird as a file I selected to open in it would open it but wouldn't actually open IN IT... Thought id uninstall and restart to try another install but screen never came back on after restart. Id imagine this could have something to do with it maybe?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Try powering on and holding down the T key - does that give the Firewire symbol on screen? If so u could use firewire cable to try and install a new OS from attached Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
shane82388

Nah, shows nothing on the screen still...

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues << this link is essentially what is happening and says it should be repaired for free but the people at the apple store sorta brushed me off and "checked it" in the back in about 2 min and said "that will be $1300 please!"

They told me my computer is dead, (expensive paperweight) if I can remember the guys quote correctly. yet I can still see it on my wifi network and what not...I don't know what to do?  
QUOTE Thanks
shane82388

So i went to the apple store, guy who was helping me didnt seem to know what planet he was on, let alone anything about macs, but he was nice...i showed him the page MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues and he just sorta glanced at it and said he would take it to the tech in the back...about 2 minutes later he comes out and tells me the tech says "I have a really expensive apple paperweight. It will cost $1300 to fix." and the logic board is the problem and its totally shot.

I went home and turned the laptop on, and went on the mac mini...i saw that the laptop was showing up on the network, i was able to connect to it, retrieve my files off it, etc...

For some reason im skeptical that the computer is shot if it essentially works perfectly, minus the display...

anyone have anything to tell me different or should i try going to another apple store or something since it seems that its a graphics problem and should be covered under this >>> MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I'd either go into a different Apple store, or call Apple!

Quoted from that link:

Resolution

If your MacBook Pro is exhibiting any of the symptoms listed above, please take it to an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) for evaluation, or call your local Apple Contact Center. Before visiting the Genius Bar at the Apple Retail Store, please make a reservation.

Apple is issuing refunds to customers who may have paid for repairs related to this issue. Please contact Apple for details on the refund process."
QUOTE Thanks
gort

gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

Exact same thing happened to my 17" macbook pro today (purchased summer of 2007!)

I have a genius bar appointment for thursday! I have the link for that display issue bookmarked on my iPhone to show them at the store if they give me a hard time. This sucks because I love surfing the web on my laptop while I lay in bed before I go to sleep. I hate sitting at my desk for long periods of time. QQ
QUOTE Thanks
gort

gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

Hi all, just providing an update on this. Apple repaired the macbook pro for free. The quoted price on the receipt they gave me was $1,300! My 3-year coverage on this defect is set to expire in June of this year too. Man did I luck out!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading macbook pro to ssd | Strange Behavior »